Acrylic Bowing Under Lights?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Zechirian

Happy New Year All!

Just started back up after about 12 years away and got some newer led lighting. I got the Aquamana 165w LED cheap-o special off Amazon and they seem to be working wonderfully. My question is that i'm starting to notice some upwards bowing underneath where the lights hang. This is on a TruVu 90g half inch thick acrylic w/ euro bracing.

There is no crazing where the brace is so it doesn't look that bad but i'm curious on if anyone has run in to it before.

I've also noticed a little bit of crazing along the left and right side of the tank. I bought this tank off craiglist down in Portland and was told it was roughly 8-10 years old. Any need to be concerned?

Thanks!

The bowing is normal. no big deal. The crazing is not an issue either. I have seen much much worse and still holding water.

Heat stress softens acrylic, but caution is warranted if crazing near corners at ports. I had a 125 Clearview 5yr that developed this. Upon upgrading to a new setup, the 125 split while on workhorses within the week as I gathered my polishing stuff to rehab it...Good luck.

Yup it is on the way out, the new 120g will be here tomorrow and we'll be putting in in place Friday. I've got a 40g breeder to hold the fish and a couple of 32g brutes for live rock and new saltwater.

I'll be selling it at a pretty good discount for anyone interested in wanting to weld in an extra piece of acrylic or two.

Back