Actinics with limited space?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

I have a luminarc stealth hanging over my open top oceanic cube, the reflector is 14.5"x14.5".

The cube is 20"x22" I think....

Is there any way type of lighting system I could add to suppliment actincs? Maybe a spolight I could angle from back? Some t-5's under 24" in length?

I also considered adding three 13 watt 8" actinics inside the pendant, behind the glass. Do you think I would create a noticeable block in light from the halide? Would I even notice a difference in the color or would my 250DE wash out 36watts of PC lighting?

Thanks in advance
Brett

250DE wash out 36watts of PC lighting?

I'm thinking it would Brett, but could be wrong. Do you want the actinics for a dusk/dawn effect or just to add a bit more blue to the mix? If you just want a tint more blue added in and not dusk/dawn effect, it may be easier to just use a higher kelvin rated bulb. Just a thought in the meantime till the others chime in :)

Well, I love the neons of actincs without halides, but I also want to make the corals POP! a little more. I already have the 20k XM on there. I am running the new HQI Icecap ballast and it seens to make the bulb run a crisper white with blue tint.

Another option I just found is an 18" 20watt T5. If I built a closed hood, I could mount three, one on the front and one on each side. I know t5s are intense, but would they be bright enough?

Ahh...Cool! When I ran a 20K XM on a regular PFO Ballast it was real blue! It's amazing what the ballast will do to the bulb's spectrum. Guess the light pro's will soon chime in. Good luck! :)

also I see theres a 420nm and a 460nm bulb. Which one will make things glow more?

Back