Upgrade to 180 from 75 on a budget. :)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

AC7AV-

Well talking to Dolphin Pumps he said that it is around 10 years old, because they do not even cast the wet ends for these guys anymore. I bought it used, and apparently it was used for a good amount of time. So I am on the hunt for a new pump. The only thing stopping me from finishing this.

SULLEST - Thanks it will be awesome after it stops sucking the life out of me everytime I turn around. It will be a sweet , sweet victory when I finally finish this.

So I changed my mind the power head's I had chosen for this build. I think that I am going to go for some of these let me know what you think.

props-painted1.jpg

So I think that I am going to go ahead and go Reeflo. I called and talked to Chris down at reeflo, and he talked me into buying a new pump from them. Between the warranty and actually getting a pump that will do what I need and maybe a little more for my system, I figured I cant beat it.

Justin- I do appreciate the offer for the pump motor. You have been awesome, through out this whole build. I think that the way this is going,( if it can go wrong, it will.) I am probably better off with something that has a warranty, Just wanted to say thanks. But that tat is always ready for you when ever you want to get it. Let me know.

Thinking about adding two 3/4 inch SCWD's inside the overflow areas of mytank. First are they any good? And second, do they fit in those compartments.

Looks like a cool build! I can't wait to see this big guy all filled with water and ready to go.
Did you get a refund or replacement for the exploded pump?

I went ahead and purchased a new reeflo Black Fin 2010 series. 3600gph @ 0' and 2100 at 8'. Which is just the amount I need.

EDWING- The pump was used, so there is no refund for that thing. Would be nice, but the person I bought it from was a cool guy and I am sure that he didn't know it had issues. So I am going to chock it up to a lesson.

Anyone out there use the SCWD, and if so has anyone had success putting them into the everflows of a 180 reef ready.

Ah HAH, let the fun begin. So I got the pump in, and the plumbing through out the house has started. The better half, is questioning the wall removal. I told her that it is essential and it will make it easier in the long run. I don't think that she is buying it though. I will post pictures here shortly of my orchestrated chaos that I call PLUMBING.

:DHay are you going to run that in the garage? That’s a really slick way to do that. I hope a generator or some kind of power back up is on the build table. I’ll never forget the garage story you told me about.

HMMMM. If it can go wrong it will. So my next question. I am currently running 3 250 HQI's powered off of 3 250w coralife HQI ballasts. None of them fire. I hook them up to the coralife system I have in the living room and they work like a champ. I have triple checked the wiring and I have verified all of the connections. No light output. Talk about epic fail. I have been reading and found out that Coralife is nice enough to include the ballast and a remote ignitor. I just can not find out if that applies to my specific ballast. I can't even find out if they are pulse start or probe start.

I think all HQI bulbs are probe start. But I could be wrong. If it is pulse start I think it will have 3 electrical connections.

I hooked up an ODYSSEA ballast to the light system I built and they fire right up so I know that the wiring is good and I know the bulbs are good. Could Coralife really monopolize their equipment that bad that you can not even upgrade ballasts without having to remove their inline igniter. CRAPPY I TELL YOU.

So on this light fixture the remote starter is built into it? If that’s the case you probably have to remove the starter because the other ballasts you’re using have the starter already built into them. That does sound like a monopolizing design, but there’s always ways around that.

No see what I am trying to do is use the ballasts I have on my retro fit 3x's 250w hood. The problem being is the igniter in the coralife assembly is for only the two lights within the assembly. And I need the third one. I know that if I was changing ballasts all I would have to do is bypass the igniter, but the problem I am having now is that without these 75 dollar igniters the ballasts will not fire on the set up I built. I do have 2 of the crappy oddysea's which have the built in igniters, and they fire off just fine. So looks like I am on hold again until I can get another ballast.

Back