Adding a 145 gallon today.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BSBARTON

I am picking up a new 145 gallon today. I have wanted to get back into reefs for a long time. I ran a 130 gallon from 89-95. It ended in disapointment, just could not justify removing these wonders from the ocean and watch them slowly die. So I am back because of technology, a maturing hobby and I love what I see and learn. My son gave me his 29 gallon about a month ago and It is amazing how well it is going overall.

My new system:D :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160057417181&rd=1&rd=1
Going to get this today, when I spoke with her it has never been used! What a bonus.

What do you guys think about the Life Reef products? Berlin/ protien skimmers. Anyone use them? recommendations for better?

Plans for this tank are corals, inverts (love the shrimps) a few fish, angel, tangs and gobies. Also an abundace of small crabs and snails. Everything will be aquacultured. Make my own rock or purchase from GARF. Some of their Grunge over CaribSea Seaflor.

One more question. What recommendations do you have for return sprayers. I have 2 thoughts. Dual feed bar across the back of the tank low with a series of drilled holes or 2 feeds across the back to create a whirl pool effect.

First of all welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!!!!
the first thing that you have to do with your new tank is cycle. abaut the flow I will suggest the second option. If you want to keep corals you will need a skimmer, wich skimmer?.... It depend on what kind of corals are you keeping cause some corals need more nutrients in the water than others.

Looks like a very nice tank!!:) As for the lifereef products, never used them before so couldn't say. I'm sure there are a few here that have used them before so hopefully they will chime in soon. As for the return spray bars, some people tend not to use them as much these days as they require maintenance (ie cleaning to prevent the holes from getting clogged) and it becomes especially hard when they spray bar is at the bottom of the tank to the back under about 100lbs of live rock. You tend to see people use their flow in different manner like using a return manifold with lockline adaptors on the end to direct flow. Just a thought...Good luck on the setup! Should be really nice:)

that looks like a sweeeeet deal!! i have heard from many people lifereef is a quality product. for that price its a steal IMO.

What I would recommend is, Running a manifold before running a spray bar. But using that only on CL, let your return be an easier flow. Run a Wahoo style or Barracuda pump on a manifold and then be able to turn it off at night is a real good way to run a system, Then have side to side motion by powerheads like Seio or Tunze. They make for easy wide flow.

As for Lifereef, You must be thinking about thier overflows? Well If I were you and being that your in Michigan, talk to chowderhead on www.Michiganreefers.com He drills tanks for people. No need for overflow.

Skimmers are very debatable as far what is good and what is not. Some for your size tank I would look at would be the ASM G3, Octopus NW200 or Euroreef CS250. All them do very well, Its just a matter of Price and what you feel is good.

Now I have Known GARf for a longtime, Thier Grunge is very good product and seeds Agrocrete very well. But if your running a sump with fuge, then I would reconsider using the grunge. A more popular way of doing agrocrete is to go to the lfs and buy the rubble from them. Pulverize with a hammer and seed the crete yourself. Also if you do make your own word of warning, It will have to cure for at least 6 weeks in running water or cirulating water to leach out all the nasty stuff left behind from the Crete.

Another thing to look at would buying dried base rock from exposed reefs. They have some pretty cool shapes and is much cheaper then buying rock or even making your own. Seed it the same way. I have been doing that process for years and it works really well. Hope this helps, And if you run into any questions about the process, please call me, I still have a Michigan number.

Last edited:
Back