Advice for Bubbletip Anemone's

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have heard of an anemone, not sure which kind, getting sucked up into a powerhead and causing a tank crash.

I personally have had one get sucked up in a power head and my tank and inhabitants survived, the anemone didn't however. My tank didn't get cloudy.

i ran carbon imeediately!! the tank is crystal clear now... i still plan to do a good size WC in a day or two

I'm a little late to the party here...but for future reference...

Never scrape, pull, tug, squeeze, or do anything else to an anemone stuck to a power head or pump intake. Turn the pump off, remove the intake with the anemone still attached, and let it remove itself. BTA's are amazingly resilient in this sort of circumstances. Most other types of anemones dont do as well...but BTA's can more often than not have a decent chance at survival.

Nick

Never scrape, pull, tug, squeeze, or do anything else to an anemone stuck to a power head or pump intake. Turn the pump off, remove the intake with the anemone still attached, and let it remove itself. BTA's are amazingly resilient in this sort of circumst
ance

very true and correct. I had an RBTA get stuck in a suction strainer once; i thought for sure that it was done for. turns out i ended up with TWO anemones in the end. they apparently can somehow split themselves in half and both sides can grow.

Back