Advise on a 180 gallon setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

olsenshouse

Ok, I'm fairly new to saltwater tanks. I've had mine up for a few months now and all is well. All is well except I want BIGGER! My wife agreed to letting me have a bigger tank :) as long as it's a bowfront. So I compromised and said I want a 180 gallon tank :).

So here's my question. I want to know from you experienced reefers what is the best equipment to be putting on this big boy tank? Brand names and models would help. I'm doing a lot of research but the best research is the experienced reefers with these size tanks or bigger.

Thanks for all the input ahead of time.

Bryan

Reeflo makes great return and closed loop pumps. Koralia makes some nice affordable powerheads that can be controlled via controllers or wave makers. Lighting you're either looking at metal halide or T-5 flourescent. I really like having an aquacontroller. Makes having a large tank much easier to keep track of. Reef Keeper (digital aquatics) makes affordable reliable controllers. Reef octopus or swc for your skimmer. You can buy a dnwb-200?? skimmer from reef octopus for under 300 new and it's a skimming fool (it's what I run on my 230) If you have any specific questions you can PM me:)

3x250w lighting.
2x 48" t5 super actinic
octo extreme 250 skimmer
reflo dart
80g sump.
mp40w
2x moded maxi jet 1200's
aqua jr controller
thats what i had on my 225g tank worked like a champ.

3x250w lighting.
2x 48" t5 super actinic
octo extreme 250 skimmer
reflo dart
80g sump.

2x moded maxi jet 1200's
Digital Aquatics Reef keeper lite
thats what i have on my 180 tank worked like a champ.

couple suggestions I would offer is if possible have a closed loop system instead of a host of powerheads in the tank (looks cleaner); second, would be get the best darn skimmer possible, this WILL make your system thrive or fail..to do this you will know what whether then tank will be more a fish or coral tank.

so in your plan, figure out how many fish you want and how large the bioload, then pick the best skimmer possible..I have a H&S skimmer that is rated for 700 gallons but I have 16 fish in my 375 gallon and knew ahead of time I was going to have that many fish

there are plenty of good skimmers that are reasonable priced...just do your research

my point is do NOT go cheap on this piece of equipment, it is too important to the survival of your tank.

That's why I put this thread up. I definitely don't want to go cheap on the important parts of the tank. What is the suggested inches of fish per gallons again?

recommend rule is 1 inch per gallon, but is a rule not an absolute, this can be skewed a little depending on surface area and amount of filtration (ie, good skimmer). :)

sorry if I sound like a broken record, but this will save you alot of pain (and money) down the road.

(and yes sorta passionate about the subject) :)

I would send a PM to skimerwhisperer..he has tested just about every skimmer out there and will not hestiate to tell you a skimmer is junk.

I am entering this hobbie as well, and just got a big tank, on a rather unexpected deal I couldnt pass on.......I have made up my mind ( by much advise from these folks) Ill get a Skimmer that I intend to rate for my tank size plus some for a heavy Bioload, I dont know If Ill have a need but rather safe than sorry.
this system came with reeflo darts that Ive read much goos things about.....I am agreeable after seeing different tanks that different people have, that a closed loop is a nicer cleaner look, with lots of potential.
Lighting, Im really interested in LED, but am really curious about plasma arc, since Im taking my time, Ill see what upcoming Data or publications out there says to this new lighting technology. but I know I want LED at the very least.
I agree with one thing if you CAN.....with larger systems plumb to a "fish Room" if you have the real estate in your home just take the plunge and do it....I know in my short timer here that that is HUGE plus nad will if there is any feasible way to do so.

Olsenhouse,

If interested, you are welcome to swing by my house to see my tank and setup..It might give you some ideas for your tank.

Kirk

Back