Aefw Grrrrrr

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yah, pretty stupid of me. I thought the corals could endure the pH swing. Since there were no fish, I made a bad assumption. I've done it before without any ill will. I think the fact that they were stressed in the first place was a bit of a problem. All of my losses so far have been out of that tank. All of the other treated corals are doing fine. I am going to redip later this week when I can find some time. Still trying to chisel out some of the corals off of the rock. You can't even imagine how time consuming this is. Kinda takes the wind out of the sails, since none look too bad, the procrastinating gene kicks in.:oops:

I've completed a 100% water change for the isolation tank. In the meantime, I put all of the other corals into the frag tank. After the 2nd dip, I'll start to put them into the QT tank.

Last edited:
I still have my fingers crossed for you and that all will be well in time. I so hated to hear about this happening.. Keep the faith..

What a nightmare, I can't even begin to imagine. I've been reading your posts daily, and I'll bet there are a lot of us out there reading this post that you're in aware of that are learning from your experience, and resolve.

Hang in there, and keep the posts coming so we can all learn the best course of prevention and action in case it happens to others.

Sincerely,

-David

I wish you the best of luck. Keep on updating us.

I had a bunch of acros in QT that were infested with AEFWs. I used Levamisole to treat mine, but the corals didn't make it. People thought red bugs were bad...Yikes - these guys hands down are much nastier. Here are a few more pics for those that haven't heard of AEFWs:

Acroeatingflatworms.jpg

acroeatingflatwormeggs.jpg

I also have been following your thread. Those SOB's look really really nasty! :exclaim: Hang in there and good luck. :razz:

between red bugs and AEFW's I'd take red bugs, hands down. Those you can treat the tank with little to no problems, these _______{insert your name for them}, are way to hard to get rid of and sometimes by the time you know you have them it's too late.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

In terms of possible natural predators, I'm sure that there are but we just don't know of any in any absolute terms. Some claim various wrasses and even some claim Mandarin fish, but no one knows for sure.

I'll keep updating as I have something to report that isn't redundant. Right now, I'm watching with a careful eye. Unfortunately, I'm getting a bit of a cyano bloom.

Well after more reading about treatment with fluke tabs, I decided to also treat with TMPCC. I have gone through so much trouble and work to get where I am, I didn't want to take any chances that I could have any recidivism of AEFW's. Still going strong. More later.

Three months later and I think that I am finally "cured". After 2 treatments with Fluke tabs, I started to tip with TMPCC. I observed and observed and observed.

Today, I finally placed the corals back into the main display. After a final dip with TMPCC, no worms were seen!!!!

Now my colors are total crap:cry: but at least the corals are still alive!!! I did lose a few, but the majority of my losses were due to my ignorance. I nuked the QT tank one afternoon by putting in too much Kalwasser. I wasn't used to such a smaller volume and used methods that worked in the past. I came home about 6 hours later to a milky tank. I lost about 1/3 of the corals in that tank.

I'll post display pics once I get some improved colors.

Actually, If I can talk you into posting pics now, that will help anyone who follows in your footsteps to see how much the corals colorations will change. I know its not nearly as pretty as they used to be, but it will help the rest of us if you can...

Nick

Congrats on winning the fight servo! Definately keep us updated on your corals as they improve.

I'll try to post pictures tonight. Another factor to consider about the colors is that I switched from 4 400W halides to 3 400W when I changed out my reflectors to Luminarc's. Anyway, I'll post pics.

It isn't easy to fight these things and you need a couple of extra tanks for appropriate QT. I don't want to do it again.

EVERYONE!!! DIP EVERYTHING!!! Even if it is from your buddies tank that has been pest free for 10 years!!!

So my corals have started to color back up.

I'm not quite where I was, but I think that some of that has to do with me down sizing my lights from 4 400W to 3 400 W with Luminarc II reflectors. I added T5's as well and I'm really impressed at how they affect color. Here are a couple of shots.

P7160009.jpg

P8150020.jpg

Back