AGA tank w/ false back -- suggestions & plumbing help?!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

epicfish

This is my plan:

1. AGA 10 gallon
2. False back with 3 compartments:
a. Chaeto/LR rubble
b. Filter floss, sponges, media (if required)
c. Maxi-Jet 900 (or Maxi-Jet 1200) Pump
3. Finnex 3x36w fixture with: 1x 10,000K, 1x 50/50, 1x 420nm/460nm bulbs
4. 10-15 pounds of live rock
5. 10 pounds of live sand
6. Zoos, palys, softies

Here's the design for the false back. The dimesions of a 10 gallon AGA are: 20"x10"x12" (LWH). I've actually moved the return closer to the surface for more movement at the top.

Click the pictures for larger pictures.

Front of the tank:

Back of the tank:

False back:

Are there any good ways to have the return plumbed through the false wall?

(Click on the images to get linked to the page description.)
Here are my options:
1) Tubing -> single threaded bulkhead + threaded bulkhead screen
I can use this bulkhead:
Along with this bulkhead screen:

2) Tubing -> slip bulkhead thread screen
Get some tubing to attach the pump to this piece, which is simply pushed through the hole in the acrylic. It's a slip-on piece:

3) Tubing -> bulkhead -> 1/2" loc-line connector -> flare nozzle
Use a bulkhead:
And then attach a threaded 1/2" loc-line connector:
and then attach a loc-line flare nozzle:

4) Tubing -> 1/2 PVC -> 1/2" loc-line connector -> flare nozzle
Use a 1/2" PVC to 1/2" FNPT, I can silicone the piece to the acrylic:
And then attach the threaded 1/2" loc-line connector:
And use the flare nozzle:

I guess the bulkhead idea would give a tighter fit since it's screwed into the acrylic from either side.

What does everyone think of my plan so far?...any suggestions on the false back idea as well as any plumbing help?

TIA!

I wouldn't worry about putting a bulkhead in a false wall. Who cares if it leaks a little. I like the loc-line concept though. #4 for sure. You could even do a 3/4" hole and use a 3/4" to 1/2" Y adapter giving you greater control of the where the flow exits.

Also have you considered turning the tank sideways and doing more of a cube type concept? Your false back would then be shorter side to side but could be deeper.

Looks good. I like the drawings too. What did you make them with?

edit:

Oh yeah, welcome to RF :)

The MaxiJet 900 (http://www.aquariumguys.com/maxijet900.html) can be connected to 1/2" tubing on the outlet and 3/4" on the inlet, that's why I was going for the 1/2" connections (bulkhead, loc-line, or PVC tubing) since I want a tight fit. Do you think going from 1/2" loc-line to a 1/2" Y-fitting would be OK? Or even a 1/2" loc-line to 1/4" Y-fitting? I think it'll be low flow from 1/2" loc-line to 1/2" Y-fitting, but I'm afraid of the back pressure on the pump if I do the 1/2" -> 1/4" Y-fitting...so many things to consider!

Good idea on the cube concept. I'll have to take a look at the lighting, etc...and the space I have. I have a 48" counter where I have two 10 gallon tanks side-by-side. One is a planted freshwater tank, and I want a SW tank to contrast it. :)

I would definatly go with at least the MJ1200. I understand your ambition to keep the tank clean looking, so what about adding even another MJ in the bottom of the space behind the display area.

I'm going to look for an example. Specifically Krish's 24gal nano.

Thanks for the link! :)

Maybe two Maxi-Jet 900s? Both combined would, theoretically, put out less heat than a single Maxi-Jet 1200. California summers are pretty horrible, so I'm hoping to cut down on heat production in the tank itself.

Good point.

What kind of lighting are you using? I'm not familiar with the fixture you have listed. T5 HO will be pretty easy on the heat output too.

that one is 24" too, but yeah I think they make them in 18" too. :lol:

Hey man...When I did my aquapod, I used 1/2 inch bulkheads (Threaded on both sides), then I used 1/2 inch lockline on the tank side (for the returned flow so I could direct it) and then I used threaded hose barbs on the back side of the bulkhead so I could slide a 1/2 inch hose on to it coming from the maxijet pump. If you look in the attachment below, you can see all the parts. The gray adaptors are the threaded hose barbs. I'm not at home right now, but when I do get home, I can take some closeups of all of the parts to give you a better idea. I have the tank all apart so it will be easy to make out. In any event, you will need to make sure your "overflow" into the back compartment have enough "teeth" to support the amount of flow you will be pushing into the tank. If you looked at the pics of my aquapod, you could see how many teeth I had in there just to be safe as I used 3 maxijets for flow. In any event, let me know if you would like some closeup shots and I'll take them when I get home. Good luck and I hope everything works out great:)
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19169&d=1168559886

Google Sketch-Up is what I used. The basic version is free and can be found at: www.sketchup.com

Not as versatile as AutoCAD (which I learned to use...way long ago, so I'm not even sure if I can remember how to use it..), but it gets the job done. And the texture rendering is a nice feature. It, as you can see, also has a built-in function for dimensions which is pretty neat.

Krish,

What if I used a single-threaded bulkhead that's also 1/2" and slipped the tubing onto the bulkhead. Of course, it could kink since I don't have a ridgid elbow connector...Maybe I should make the investment for a rigid elbow to prevent any problems?

Krish,

What if I used a single-threaded bulkhead that's also 1/2" and slipped the tubing onto the bulkhead. Of course, it could kink since I don't have a ridgid elbow connector...Maybe I should make the investment for a rigid elbow to prevent any problems?

Do you mean like using the bulkhead sort of like a nipple for the hose to slide over? If so, you will need a bigger hose than the 1/2 which in turn will be too big for the maxijet. Marine depot sells the "slip" 90 degree hose harb fittings (1/2 inch) that you can slide into the back of a "slip" bulkhead that would make lifde easier for you as well as the threaded like I used that will thread into the back of a threaded bulkhead. SO whichever bulkhead you decide to use, they make the adaptor for it:)

Here's the slip fitting
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=FT6733

And here's the threaded
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=FT7533

Here are the pics I promised man...Sorry I took so long (trying to get over this food poisoning) These are pics of the 1/2 inch bulkhead (threaded both sides), 1/2 male lockline adaptor with 1/2 inch tubing and round nozzle, and then the 1/2 male hose barb (gray piece) which the hose for the maxijet will attach to:)

Back