AGGGGGH!! FedEx

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hopefully this works out for best and brendan is able to salvage some of the corals, if not most of them.

Anytime I get something shipped that is alive, (and I've done it several times), I have it sent to a local facility and pick it up there. My rationale is this:

I can get there as soon as they open, and the box isnt bouncing around in the back of a hot or cold truck waiting for the driver to make it to my house before 2 pm.

The suggestion of picking it up at the airport is a good one too. I realize this doesnt really come into play with this situation, (since the box was stuck in a different state), but something to think about anyway.

Nick

FedEx Sucks!

I had a similar thing happen a year ago. $650 worth of Clams and corals that I sent to a guy in Texas via FedEx. I paid for the insurance. They sent the package to a different state and said well you'll get it tomorrow to the receiver. He knew that the package was insured so he asked FedEx what the options were and decided to refuse the shipment the next day. We filed the insurance claim and they refused to honor it. They will gladly take the insurance dollars but wouldn't pay the claim on livestock. They wouldn't even refund the $115 in shipping costs. I have had them lose my live snails twice when I was the recipient.

Personally, I will use someone other than FedEx from here on out! Their Tag line should read: "When it absolutely, positively needs to be there overnight, DON"T count on FedEx".

I hope some of your stuff makes it!

:)

Insurance wont pay out if its late, they will only refund you the shipping cost. If the packages were damaged in the case of Brenden though, thats a legit claim.

actually I have had the least problems with fedex. I was shipping lots of frags 2 summers ago and didn't have 1 box lost or even damaged. I get 99% of my corals sent to me via fedex and haven't had 1 late recently. This is scaring me though..

"then they'll say it was not packaged correctly and still not pay out."

Your right you shouldnt even try.... All I am saying is I deal with claims fairly frequently and the first thing they want to know is if the outside of the package was damaged.

I think you are putting words in my mouth as I never said "don't try."

I'm just saying in the past that is the 'denial' I received for a package I sent.

Well the plot thickens. The package arrived. Torn up and wet. One of the bags had a 1" hole in it. The package had to dropped hard because the corals were in 6 bags. The Fedex guy said he was not going to leave the package due to it being damaged but I told him to leave it. I had to sign for it so I wrote damaged and a day late next to my signature. I checked the water temp.. 64. The are floating now. Am I wasting my time?
Morgan: NC coast!! I know they are in parts of GA, FL, Al, etc but not NC.

Good luck with the corals Brenden.
If anyone can bring them around you can.
Can the coral posion your tank if you have one that is dying in your tank?

Well there is a claim in. I may actually have a chance. The driver said he was going to return it to sender since it was obviously damaged. I told him to leave it and when I signed for it I wrote package is damaged and a day late by my signature. The driver said he was going to put that the package was damaged when it was delivered. If I put my tracking number in on the Fedex web site it shows that my package was delivered but damaged. If they do not pay with them even stating it was damaged then this is well.....BS!! Out of 7 corals I have lost 2. Not bad for what they went through and 63 degree water.
Can the coral posion your tank if you have one that is dying in your tank?
Aqua man: I am going out of town and that has crossed my mind a few times. I think I will be OK. I have carbon in the sump and my main has 700gal of water volume.

Out of 7 corals I have lost 2.

Amazing! Good job on the recovery.

And to think we spend all this time, money, and effort to keep em' alive, when all we really need is a coffee cup. :lol:

Nice to hear that they made it through Brenden! GL with the claim. They are a PITA and take a long time =\

Only thing I did different was a 6 hr acclimation and I put them in really low flow and low/med light for 24 hrs.

i would have to say
that i think there would have to be a consumer watch dog in america for bad bussiness and sell able items
there so many of u saying u have had bad luck with fedex and if it is happenoing on a regular basis YOU SHOULD complain and loudly to there slogan is false advertising as i see it
send an email or a letter to fedex full of signatures of people boycotting fedex
but u should defanitly talk to the consumer watch dog
its everyones right as a consumer to get exactly what they paid for
why pay for over night shipping if it dosent get there over night?

Back