Aiptasia, Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

idgy

I am getting so angry!!!!:flame:

I bought real reef rock from Dr. Foster/Smith in which they claimed free from pests, one of the pest listed was aiptasia. I bought the rock for two reasons: 1: Not taken from ocean and 2: FREE OF PEST as it was listed. They were nice enough to send me some junk to help rid them and it has not worked! After several calls and attempts to fix this situation all they wanted to do was offer me free shipping on a cleaner crew. NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!! You advertise free of pest! So I filed a compliant with the BBB and after several weeks I was refunded my full amount for the rock! I did not want my money back I just want rock that was free of pest like it was listed. Of course now they have since removed that statement from their website.

My question is can you win the battle against these buggers?? I hate having to week after week apply Aiptasia X. And hunt around the tank to see if any are popping up? Can I change the rock? Or will they still be in the tank?

Also I can't figure out why I have green hair algae growing in my tank. I have no nitrates, nitrites, ammonia and phosphate are at 0.05. How can I keep algae from growing???

IMHO By far the most effective way to completely eradicate Aiptasia Anemone is with the Berghia Nudibranchs without NUKING your whole tank. The new Live Rock is also probably the source of nutrients for the algae outbreak, Nitrate/Phosphate levels can be mostly undetectable but they are there. The algae is using it up at nearly same rate of production is all. Berghia are somewhat expensive so if you have Wrasses you might want to temporarily remove them, they don't usually ingest them since they are foul tasting but just in trying so can kill them.

Cheers, Todd

Crappy bout the rock. Real reef rock isnt very cheap. Ive never dealt with the store your talking about, ive gone on their site and they just seem expensive to me. On your algae issue, what was said above, but you didnt mention your lighting. The bulbs, if your not using led, may have shifted in spectrum, ie went more red, which you wouldnt notice, but algae sure does.

It's LED lights, it's an aqua top from Elos.

If you look up posts from trido, he has instructions on how to build an aiptasia burner. Not to sure what happened with the algae outbreak, I have dealt with Drs. F&S and never had a problem with them. Never have ordered anything live or live rock however.

I would try the nudis personally, as i just had this battle and gave up and tore my system down! That being said
I found out a little to late that the proper amount of nudis would have done the trick!!! Damn, also be pateint when
you do the nudi thing if you do it take a little time for them to eat the aptaisia. I tried the burner thing and i personally
think it should be used on majanos but not aptasia only because when the aptasia get pissed they multiply
so i think if you dont burn them completely they just multiply. Good luck I know your frustration !

I know trido has had such good luck with his, that he put his build on a link on his posts. Nudi's are a great solution, but die once the aiptasia is gone.

Ya the zapper is nice because you kinda let out your aggression towards the aptasia. LOL burn baby burn
I just wasnt sure if i was making them spread or winning. Either way i hate these nems !!

Back