aiptasia removal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
I want to switch my controlable hydors from one tank to another. only issue is they have aiptasia on them. i was wondering what i could soak them in to make sure they are gone. a bath a pickling lime and water mixed to a liquidy paste? jug of lemon juice? bleach, vinegar? what do you guys think would be best

Soak it in vinegar and water for a little while, then wipe it down and rinse. Just like a standard power head cleaning.

wouldant hurt to pick up some nudis they are great on apitasia removal

i have two tanks. and just got done doing a swap from a 150 to a 210 gallon. but in my other aggresive tank i have the hydor controler and 4 power heads that plug only into the wave maker thing. i want to put that in my reef tank but theres aptasis growing on the power head. Just looking for a quick fix. i did buy a couple nudis from barrier reef when they had there sale. not sure if they made it tho

If you get the nudis, make sure you don't have any wrasse ;) My leopard had himself a nice $200 meal. Can't say I have ever bought myself a $200 meal...

If you get the nudis, make sure you don't have any wrasse ;) My leopard had himself a nice $200 meal. Can't say I have ever bought myself a $200 meal...
Did you just drop the berghia in the tank or something? wrass's dont like the tast of berghia infact nothing dose. if the wrass ingested the berghia it would most likle dye

the berghia nudis are small you really shouldn't see them. there just like the ant falling the rubber tree plant.... oops there goes another rubber tree plant!

Did you just drop the berghia in the tank or something? wrass's dont like the tast of berghia infact nothing dose. if the wrass ingested the berghia it would most likle dye

I have found if you use the right amount of brown sugar mixed with lemon juice, then sprinkled with sesame seed, and broiled for about 10-15 sec, DO NOT OVER COOK!!!
in extra virgin olive oil. That they make quite a tasty snack.
Although I had to give them up, they gave me gas... LOL

I put the berghia in a bucket with some of my LR as I acclimated them and waited for them to crawl on to my rocks. Then I put the rocks in the tank. I saw the berghia twice maybe before they disappeared forever. I assure you that with the amount of aptasia I had, I should have had thousands of berghia in my tank. It was either the leopard wrasse, hippo tang, mandarin, foxface or anthias. My vote is the wrasse since she swims around the tank hunting all day.

if you have decent access to the aptasia with out having to dismantle your aquascape, then aptasia x works great. when i first set up my tank i thought that the aptasia was really neat. i had all these FREE anemones. LOL. then i had about a hundred of them in just about a month lol. so i zapped them all with aptasia x and i have not had a single one pop up since.

I've also had great results with Aiptasia-X. For smaller ones and ongoing control of aiptasia, peppermint shrimp have pretty much cleared up any sight of them.

I put the berghia in a bucket with some of my LR as I acclimated them and waited for them to crawl on to my rocks. Then I put the rocks in the tank. I saw the berghia twice maybe before they disappeared forever. I assure you that with the amount of aptasia I had, I should have had thousands of berghia in my tank. It was either the leopard wrasse, hippo tang, mandarin, foxface or anthias. My vote is the wrasse since she swims around the tank hunting all day.

I used bergi and found the seemed to do nothing the first 2-3 weeks. I think they were munching on smaller aiptaisia ...ones you don't know are there, before they took out the bigger ones. they got the job done tho. also, it takes time for berghia to reach adult breeding size, lay eggs, hatch etc. so who assured you that you would have thousand of bergi and how long did they say it would take to hatch theat many?

I have found if you use the right amount of brown sugar mixed with lemon juice, then sprinkled with sesame seed, and broiled for about 10-15 sec, DO NOT OVER COOK!!!
in extra virgin olive oil. That they make quite a tasty snack.
Although I had to give them up, they gave me gas... LOL

Hahahahahahah nice peppie! serve it up over basmatti rice and your good :)

I used bergi and found the seemed to do nothing the first 2-3 weeks. I think they were munching on smaller aiptaisia ...ones you don't know are there, before they took out the bigger ones. they got the job done tho. also, it takes time for berghia to reach adult breeding size, lay eggs, hatch etc. so who assured you that you would have thousand of bergi and how long did they say it would take to hatch theat many?

I bought 20 berghia 2 years ago for a 120g with 5000 aptasia, so by basic math, by now I should have a bunch of them, and hardly any aptasia. Instead I have 0 berghia, and 15000 aptasia(until I pulled out my rocks). Trust me, the leopard wrasse ate them. She is a savage and will eat anything that moves.

You should ask trido. He saw it at its worst. Literaly every surface of 150pounds of rock was covered. Hundreds per rock. They should have had a field day!

Thats awesome! at that point I would have called it an accomplishment and let them be. "look at me cool anemone tank":jaw:

Back