Aku's 48x48x20 irregular hexahadron

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL i bet...kinda hard to reach the middle or the back middle huh...have u been to aquarium paradise? They have a tank like urs!

Yeah the middle isn't too bad, but the center rock in the back is a MOFO to reach lol.

What did all the glass for the project run$ and how tall did you build your stand.it all looks professional.this was the original size I wanted for my custom.working on a tank budget always slows me down

They all died because you didn't cycle your rock properly and a lot of "FRESH " saltwater is not always a good thing!

I got the glass all water jet cut for a little under 200$ including the weir in the back pane. The stand was built myself from lumber and then sheathed in African Mahogany and peruvian walnut. That is why there aren't any doors on it yet....stuff aint cheap and the wife has temporarily put her foot down. The stand sits 43" inches tall.

So far I am happy with the way things are turning out minus the livestock loss. I tested the water and the only thing elevated was nitrates which I would find correct from all the die off so the mystery of the melting SPS is still going. PH, calc, alk, salinity, temp, ammonia, phosphates, nitrites and nitrates all check out to within acceptable levels...so i am not sure what's going on. Meh maybe some nice people will throw some SPS frags back my way in the future to restart me after things settle....if not back to the wallet.

They all died because you didn't cycle your rock properly and a lot of "FRESH " saltwater is not always a good thing!

I used all of the old live rock....the bio load didn't increase and the rock that went in was all boiled so no die off there....so the only thing I can agree on is the massive fresh saltwater addition.

Boiled rock isn't the doesn't do anything to maintain the balance. Rock with no benificial bacteria, along with no sand and fresh saltwater is going to create an ammonia spike as soon as the fish go to the bathroom. I'm sorry to hear about your personal livestock, but you should have found someone to hold on to the PSAS frags before doing something so risky and reckless. IMO. Especially if you "have set up a tank or two'' before.

What balance are you referring to? Are you referring to the balance I maintained by including all the established rock from the previous system that was already capable of handling the bioload and then some. Perhaps if I am so reckless someone else can take over the PSAS. However since none of you stepped up to teh plate at election time you can kiss my ****ing a*s. Yes I feel bad about teh loss of the PSAS corals and I will do what I can to replace them. However let's do some simple math.

Boiled rock with nothing left to die off =0
Established live rock that has been handling the bioload equals 1
placing the same bioload into the new tank = 1

therefore the balance is maintained. The bacteria colonies don't just magically disappear. I admit the large addition of fresh saltwater was probably my undoing.

Let's not pretend like you haven't had a complete crash due to your own stupidity though....what was it you were actively dosing into your system at the time of your crash...that's right creatine. Good call Jack A*s.

Oh and for your clarification after running full tests on my system to see if there was a spike present using Elos and Salifert test kits the only thing that was above 0 was the Nitrates. Ammonia, Nitrite and Phosphates are and have been at 0. Thanks you can move along now. Nitrates were at about 5.

Last edited:
.It is quite a pain to place corals in this tank" Quote "
No sniveling when upgrading to a larger tank!!!! Mr.Reckless LOL

Alright lets keep the language down and slow down the negative comments.

Tough luck on the deaths Seth, never a fun thing

play nice

Mojo

IMO Seth took every precaution known to him to provide a successful transfer. IMO he is very well educated in the salt hobby.
I can not believe he would purposely put anybody's property in jeopardy.
Unless you can prove were he went wrong, and prove he did it on purpose. I find the response in very bad taste

Thanks Shawn.

Everything appears to be settling. The SPS that is left has polyped out and appears to be settling. Most of my Monti's have made it and all my LPS/Zoa are doing well. The fish love the room although I hardly ever see the Mandarin as he has sooo many places to prowll now. LOL

IMO Seth took every precaution known to him to provide a successful transfer. IMO he is very well educated in the salt hobby.
I can not believe he would purposely put anybody's property in jeopardy.
Unless you can prove were he went wrong, and prove he did it on purpose. I find the response in very bad taste

Thanks Dave and I did do everything I could to make the transfer sucessful I just failed at it. Tough luck. TO clarify some things for every ones edification.

I used a brand new 40 B that was rinsed with white vinegar and then several times with RODI. I also used a 100 gallon rubbermaid rinsed in the same fashion.

All the corals were removed from the rock and placed in the 40B. The rock and fish were placed in the 100G rubbermaid.

Both holding tanks had a heater controlled via the neptune Apex to maintain temperature. The 40B had a MP10 and the 100 G rubbermaid had a MP40 for flow and aeration.

The after the tank was ready the existing rock was added to teh new tank having already matched salinity and temp between systems.

The cheato and refugium rock was placed in the new fuge.

The water was ran through a filter sock to catch any detritus and the water from the existing/ holding tank systems was pumped in.

The Coral was then acclimated and added to the new system.

Over all I would say it was a mix of about 35% water from the existing system and 65% new salt water.

I find it hard to swallow that fresh saltwater would be a bad thing. I read alot of threads were people do large water changes up 50% at one time with no ill effects.
Would it not be like opening a window and taking a large breath of fresh air?

Bummer on the losses Seth. It happens in this hobby though no matter how many pre-cautionary measures you take. Things don't always go as planned. I've had things happen to me and I couldn't understand why :confused:. You'll get it worked out I'm sure. :)

I find it hard to swallow that fresh saltwater would be a bad thing. I read alot of threads were people do large water changes up 50% at one time with no ill effects.
Would it not be like opening a window and taking a large breath of fresh air?

Dave I think it can just be a shock to the corals since you are replenishing so many trace elements and the like all at once. I have no proof of this though and no scientific leg to stand on. So it is all just conjecture.

To be completely honest Seth, the "new water" shouldn't have caused an issue at all if all parameters matched up to what was there before. Water itself doesn't contain all that much beneficial bacteria to talk about which is why you can do a 100% water change on a tank and once all parameters match up (temp, salinity, ph, cal, mag, alk etc.) then nothing would be affected. This is why you didn't read any detectable ammonia or nitrites. I always took advantage when doing a tank swap over to use a new batch of water. It's a great way to get rid of a lot of junk water that has been in the tank. Never had an issue because as mentioned, not much beneficial bacteria free floating in water. If there was, then you'd hear people suggest "seeding" a tank with someone else's tank water (which would be the easiest route), but rather you hear seed it with liverock or live sand from another person's tank because that is where all of the beneficial bacteria comes from and not the water. I've mentioned this before, but DonW use to do a 100% water change on his tank over the course of a week every week so by the end of the week, he changed 100% of his water and Don's tank always spoke for themselves. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back