Algae...friend...foe...or necessary evil

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DaBrowns

Here are a few pics of the algae I mentioned in a different thread earlier this morning. Am I correct in thinking we should leave this alone and eventually the cleaning crew (10 snails, 10 crabs) will eventually get to it...or should we be cleaning it off and removing it somehow?

Thanks for all the help

BTW - the pic with the pump motor is bad but shows some stuff that looks like sand @ the bottom. It makes the tank "cloudy" if I stir it into the pump. Not sure if it is sand or not. Should I suck it out @ the 1st water change or just leave it "undisturbed"??

Last edited:
Tank that out. It may just be sand but it may also be detritus. I would get rid of it. Your sump should be spotless. Thats what i always taught.

That looks to me like you are definately in the "Diatom Bloom" stage of your tanks progression. This happens to all new tanks, and isn't anything to be overly concerned with. Once the nutrients in your tank are gone, the Diatom's will stop being produced and go away. I think our clean-up crew help with their removal in most cases.

As for the dirt down by your pump; I know that I "Should" be cleaning up my sump regularly, and that would be something to clean out on those cleaning days. I don't tend to do that nearly as much as I should though. *hangs head in shame* Sucking it out when you do water changes is the "most preferred" method... yes.

The pictures are a little blurry. However, it looks like there might be some bubbles in that algae. Is it a slimy coating with bubbles like these dinoflagellates?

Fish027.jpg

Fish026.jpg

Or does it feel fuzzy like lobophora?

If neither, it is probably just a diatom bloom.

No mine definetly does not look like the one in those pics...it is just tiny air bubbles on the algae at the edges of growth. As the tanks only been up with the Live Rock for a week tomorrow...I'm probably just going through a bloom stage and being really paranoid. Hopefully removing the sponge prefilters on the pumps will slow the nitrate factory. I know it "should" be zero for corals and eventually will be...we're waiting 3 months for them...but 5ppm for fish and clean-ups isn't bad is it? I've heard of people having success with much greater levels??

I've kept inverts and fish alive in much higher nitrate levels!! I'm talking over 100ppm :oops: I didn't know any better back then.(LOL) 5 ppm is great man...I remember having just 10 ppm and I thought I was the coolest because I had never gotten it that low and then eventually, I got it to zero with time and tank maturity. You are sitting really nicely so just let the tank do it's thing and keep up with the water changes and you'll be set. Your algae looks like diatoms and will eventually subside:)

Here's a good thread to read. Cyano or dinoflagellates

Here's a recent article by Randy Holmes-Farley. Dinoflagellates and pH

Those two links will help you greatly. Basically, it isn't fun so start making up some new saltwater with RO/DI water or another type of phosphate-free water. You'll need to siphon out the dino's which is good because they will rid your tank of excess phosphates. Then, you'll need to crank up your pH to a higher level by dripping kalkwasser and leave your lights off.

diatomaceous algae

I was given a Nano Cube as a gift and set it up with LS and cured LR. The tank was up and running for about 1 1/2 weeks but I was told by the LFS that it's OK to stock these tanks as early as initial setup. Ph was 8.5, NH4 and nitrate and nitrate were 0 so i stocked it with a small zebra/banded moray and an anemone. I fed the anmone Mitis shrimp (small amount) after 2 x days. The brown bloom then came 2 x days after that. This morning the tank started to look a little better and I expect that it will continue to improve. Will probably add a couple of grounds keepers soon. This post reflects many previous ones regarding cycling, LFSs' wisdom, patience, experience, ....). Gret site. Thanks!:)

LOL!! Some LFS have no business being in the business:p

You can say that again. They had me buying stuff I didn't need when I started my tank and gave me ill advice to go along with it. My suggestion to all noobs to this hobby, is look at this site first and ask questions before listening to your LFS.

Example: My LFS told me to buy C-Balance and start dosing my tank with it, Even after i told them my tank only contained soft/low light corals and me being a fresh noob at the time I didn't know any better so i did what they said. Then after buying it i came here for advice and found my salt mix had plenty calcium and the C-balance was a waste of $$$.

Back