alk Cal and mag. Wats ur schedule?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

1guydude

I'd like to think of myself as a intermediate aquariust. I'm now aware it take Cal*mag*and*alk*supplements to keep stony coral alive*lol.*
My question to u all is...and I kno every tank is diffrent. But.

Wat is ur method or way for keeping up with these parameters? When? How often? How much? Wat is it? Wats ur stony coral bioload? High med low? Size of tank? Ect...*

I'll say I myself have dosed two part and individual three part. I dose when I feel is right. I test when I feel I need to. I kno my tanks like the back no f my hands. Usually no more than three cap fulls of each. I'd say I have a low stony coral load.*
Usually once a week or sometimes once every cpl weeks.*
D

I manually dose BRS 2part using 10ml syringes. 10ml each 2x daily. 12hrs between each dosing. All LPS/SPS 40B tank. Parameters very steady, ALK 8.4, Ca 430 and Mag 1360. I dose Mag as needed.
My coral growth has been crazy fast :)

i dose brs two part on timers from my controller, using brs dosers. i don't know how much, because i just adjust a few minutes of run time here and there when tests say so, and keep the jugs full. (75 gallon sps, 30 gallon nem/lps tank plumbed tohether. water changes are enough for the softy tank

A high quality salt that is balanced will go a long way to limit the requirement of expensive additives. Red Sea Pro is an exceptionally clean mixing salt without the residue that happens with IO. Most important to keep alk stable 8-9dkh and salinity kept at 1.026 will keep PH and Calcium more in check.

I like to use Brightwell products. Calcium, magnesium, alkalinity, strontium, & potassium are available in powder form. I also dose iodine & boron (although seldom). I currently manually dose but im in the process of setting up a dosing pump (jebao) & a kalkwasser stirrer (avast marine). My levels are typically lower than they should be. When my levels are good i have great coral growth. I have a 240 gallon tank with 100 gallon sump, 40 gallon refugium. I have a fair amount of corals so my manually dosing doesnt keep up with the corals demand.

The common problem I have found that Calcium and Mag is easily in excess of the system's consumed rate if not checked between water changes. RTN and STN happens when corals become "constipated" when Calcium is +430 in my system. Dunno, but my growth is better 380-420 and 8dkh. Consistency is always key though.

What is ur method or way for keeping up with these parameters?: BRS dosing pumps run by my controller to dose my daily amount throughout the day. Water changes using Aquavitro Salinity salt.
How much?: that depends on what you need for your tank to maintain balance.(http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html)
What is it?:prestone Driveway Heat and Baking Soda (Randy's 2part-Recipe2: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/)
Wats ur stony coral bioload? High med low?
Size of tank?: 85 Gallon

I will join on this.

What is ur method or way for keeping up with these parameters?:
BRS dosing pump of Alk and Cal. 15% weekly water change with RC

How much?:
Controlled by cheap digital timers. Alk is 45-60 mins in the morning, cal is 35-45mins at night. (i adjust the timer depends on the test result prior to water change to see the weeekly consumption)
What is it?:BRS soda ash and Calcium Chloride
Wats ur stony coral bioload? SPS high, Big Clam and Mid bioload
Size of tank?: 90 gal + 20 galish sump

Keeping my Alk 7-8.5, Cal 400-420.

I use kalk in the topoff water and adjust as necessary with BRS 2 part. You can use pickling lime from the grocery store and save money. My Ca/alk have been holding steady.

Great tread, myself do about 35 gallons water changes every 2 weeks (total water volume around 220 gallons)
1 dose some some multivitamins about 3 ml disolved with r.o water (2 times a week)
Alkalinity seems to be betwen 8-10
If i see it around 7 the i dose some powder for alk (forgot the name) brightwell brand
I dose about 2 table spoons with some r.o
Ph seems to be around 8-8.2 is that ok ?
Tds readings from r.o water is .1 ppt
Tds readings from main tank os 10.0 ppt
Lately started using a carbon reactor, wow it makes a big time difference on the water clarity
Any constructive input is greatly appreciated
Reef on guys/gals lol

400 gallon system, medium load on stoneys. Kalkwasser for top off, Alk is 8.3, Ca. is 440, Mg. is 1335. These numbers are pretty solid, not much variance. I have been in this hobby too long :) :)

Hey Mr D
Good to know, but is ok to read R.O water right ?
Mainly did because im battleling some hairy green algae, lost a few zoas and sps

Yup u wanna read water going into the unit and the water coming out as clean (not the waste) water to see when to change filters, Di resin, or ro membranes.
R u testing water ur not making? Smart.
D

Back