All-Flo Freedom filter???Any thoughts

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

first of all just want to say u did to much to fast

u should only have ammonia at the very start

dont get another cleaner wrasses i know there nice and lfs sell them but there not really for the marine aquarium if u have a very large tank with lots of fish maybe but i dont think many people here have had much luck with them for over 2 months

if u want to add coral go with discomorphs hardiest coral u can get im my eyes

the only filter i have on both of my tanks is a protien skimmer and the live rock in my tank i would like a fuge but dont have a sump and if i planted algeas my tangs would eat them lol
u ceartainly have read alot of good meaterial the thing is now to figuer out what works best for u the is no absolute right or wrong way to go about this hobby people say u cant keep corals with oput a protien skimmer but people here do sum people do water changes every other day and other people never change thier water it a hard hobby to get ur head around but once u get the routien of ur tank then it becomes easyer

fyi u dont need all the high end bells and whistle equipment to run a tank eaither i do pretty damn good on 60 dollar skimmer (i do have a badass redsea skimmer thats worth 650 but sum idiot solt it to me for like 30 bucks lol second hand stuff is normally alot nicer on ur pocket

dblspc34

You have done and added a lot and seem to have lost a lot. If you have had ICK in your tank, you MUST remove all the fish and set up a hypo treatment tank. (do a search here and you will find tons of information), and while your fish are in Hypo, your main tank must remain without ANY fish in it for 8 weeks to kill off the ICK that is in it. You also in the future need to quarantine anything that is wet that you are going to put into you tank, they should be in there for 6-8 wks, this is the only way to make sure you do not introduce ICK into you tank again. If you just go out and buy more fish after a couple of weeks, the ICK cycle will continue and the fish will die. This can be a expensive hobby and a lot of people don't stick with it because of the $ and all the problems that can occur. You must do the hypo treatment and leave your tank fish less for 8 weeks before you go any farther or you will just be throwing money and more livestock away IMHO. Good Luck

well, at least it's better than a urchin:)
i made a bakpak better than an urchin/remora after some mods...
isnt there somewhere in the bible that talks about making evil things good??

but, a hamster inside a habitrail tube with a dixi cup on top would skim better than an urchin/remora...

they win my prize for being one of the most overpriced p.o.s. skimmers there is.

i should find a way to mod them......:idea:

I see that all of these posts are relatively older posts. I was recommended a Freedom Filter for my 55g tank due to space restrictions. I have no access to the back or sides, or underneath. A canister type was my only option. I am curious if there is anyone with long term experience. So far, I have been running my setup for almost 4 months and my only complaint is the surface filtration. The skimmer has worked well, and the levels in my tank have been nil.

I really want to know success/failure stories. I am curious if this will be a long term solution for me, or something I will have to remedy down the road!

Thanks!

look at the tunze 9010 in tank skimmer, awesome, and looks like a overflow box in the corner

Actually, I agree...my Freedom Filter has been pulling tons out of my tank, and I sorta feel like that part is doing an adequate job. Im just not sure as far the the rest of the filtration if its enough. I cant have a sump setup, so I was wondering if this FF setup is sufficient!

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind for my next tank!

Just the name "freedom" in the product is enough to make me think this is a snake oil type product. Reminds me of some of Marc Weiss product names.

And yeah I don't see how the skimmer can fucntion very well if at all given the design based on the cutout.

skimmerwhisper if u have to mod a skimmer to get it to work better that says alot about the product i wouldnt know about ur bible reference cause ive never read it
this freedom skimmer looks like a poor design i still dont know how those filter sponges and stuff get anywater passing through them as the pump bypass them so how are they going to work??? what is the price tag on this thing anyway??

I agree,its not the best thing for a tank but in some cases, hard to get to area for tanks thats already set up it helps thats all. Oh the price range is about $185.00 But yeah the CPR works better.:exclaim:

skimmerwhisper if u have to mod a skimmer to get it to work better that says alot about the product

it says that technology changes, and fortunately for us, some of it is backwards compatible.

you could mod a royal exclusive b.k. if you wanted, that doesnt make it a bad product..

and what about all the deltec, h&s, euro reef, and beckett skimmers that people have moded, most worked great before hand...
people like me just like to push the performance envelope whenever we can:)

well yeh that makes sense but if u are modding them to make it better why does the company that produce these things not figuer out that the best preforemence comes from a mod
i like to have a fiddle with stuff but if ur spending the money to get a good product it should work to its best as is and if its not then sumone should write a letter telling them how to improve said product to become even better again

i know what dont u just make ur own line of protien skimmers then i can just buy one off u and dont have to worry about anything

freedom filter

I obtained the 75 gallon filter just over two years ago. I have it hung in the back of a 40 gallon tank. I removed the sponges and replaced with live rock two years ago, and I keep usually 4 fish in this tank. I currently have a yellow tang, 2 yrs, a clownfish, two years, a royal gramma, 3 months and a coral beauty 1 week. I have had no problems, and the water tests great. I would recommend this filter.
The only drawback is the protien skimmer is not the best.

i know what dont u just make ur own line of protien skimmers then i can just buy one off u and dont have to worry about anything

:) im right smack in the middle of designing a skimmer line for barrier reef aquariums,
our goal is to offer higher performance skimmers for less money than the competitors, and you wont have to import them from germany.:idea:
right now im just finishing up a mesh wheel skimmer design, and am almost ready to make prototypes.
then im thinking i might tackel a modified beckett skimmer similar to the idea of the korallen zutch skimmer, but no parking lot cone or neon scrap acrylic:)

freedom filter, misleading dont buy!!!!

for anyone interested in purchasing this product, please do not do it . do not be taken with the idea of no plumbing. and all the three types of filtration they claim to do.

i have own one for a year and it has skimmed like maybe 10 times , i'm being most sincere.they are not worth the $300.00 dollars.

i purchased it from their main office in boca raton, called to informed that it was not skimming , they were nice and shipped me a new ventri tube , but it still did not skim. when i first got i was told i could return it if i was not fully satisfied. well i did just that or i attempted to. the individual who is the owner was very nasty, unprofessional, changing the subject to civil rights, he said that since it skimed before that it was not defective , and he will not return my money. his exact words were get rid of it , then asked me from where i got it from to return it to the retailer , but that he was not going to refund me. i was very very angry.this product does not work as they claim. too much for the little it does.

i own a 225 reef tank now i have a refugium, which i love very much.

if anyone wants any more info on this product , i'll be more than glad to answer them

Cotton28, I'm not discounting your experience as you obviously had a bad one with this unit/company, but, mine skimms continuously, and always has from the start. I have the smaller unit rated for a 90gal and under on my tank. I get a full container every 4 to 5 days set on the dryer mode. It's not the nastiest, darkest, skimmate, by it is skimmate (greenish/brown) nonetheless. I think the smaller unit is pretty much in line with most of the statements made by the mfr. And there is no added plumbing to be installed if this is the only unit one chooses to employ. It is self contained and fits inside the tank. Also contrary to your experience, I had nothing but a good experience with the owner, who even over nighted me a new unit due to skimmer cup issue, an entire complete unit even! I would never put this unit on a 225 and would never plan a closed reef 225. A 225 reef would need a sump and larger good wuality skimmer IMO. Even in my 54, I have my sump return and my closed loop so this unit is in addition to. As I have maintained, this unit is good for smaller sumpless tanks. Some people don't have sumps or the room for external HOT skimmers and this unit fullfills that niche IMO.

You guys have GOT to be kidding me if you think this thing is worth the salt it is skimming.
I can rig up a waterr bottle and an airstone that will skim better than that and it won't cost $300. Sorry you got taken to the store cotton28

This thing looks worse than a Remora IMO.

D.

BBehring,

well to be honest with you the owner was the one that recommeneded this unit to me. i have the 950 pump. and when i mention to him i inc. a refugium he got all upset and said i was just throwing money away. personally i threw the money away by buying the freedom filter. they are not design for saltwater. my corals are reproducing due to my refug.and water is near zero nitrate.

Back