All-Flo Freedom filter???Any thoughts

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

knight 03, I just bought one for my 54 corner bow. I'm in the process of plumbing my closed loop. Premium Aquatics sells them on line. Hope to have it set up before Thanksgiving. Customer support is super thus far. My tank back is black and so is the filter box unit, so it's not even noticable. I don't feel the space of the box is empeeding inside my tank. I purchased with the mag 7 as I don't like Rio. Standard unit is with Rio 2500. I aslo have the smaller unit rated for I think 70 gallons. Hangs nice on the tank, everything is assembled out of the box, except the skimmer, which is very simple to install. Once I have the tank set up and the unit running, I will post my observations and findings and thoughts on performance on the unit. Feel free to PM me.

the lfs i work for got these in and we were less than impressed. i think that they try to do to many things in that small space and was a little concerned about how effective the skimmer would actually be. i would be very interested to know how it does esp. the skimmer.

mummra, which LFS? I was at one in Murrieta, which had one set up and they were running it incorrectly. Skimmer box was tilted and not injecting enough air.

it's here in central california. we looked it over really close and ran one (not to impressed). the sales pitch was close to that of a used car salesman with all the promises that were made...although we had a hard time finding a person to talk to about sending them back they stood by the promise of an unconditional return policy and took them all back.

maybe we did not give it enough of a chance but the praticality of keeping it clean and the undersized skimmer reaction area had all my reef guys a little skeptical.

All-Flo Freedom filter review?

Has anyone had any first-hand experience with the All-Flo Freedom filter? I'm quite curious as to their performance, especially with a 90 gallon tank. The company claims that it can provide "complete circulation, powerful protein skimming, total biological, chemical and mechanical filtration all in one compact whisper quiet unit that is virtually maintenance free."

They run about $270 plus another $70 for a Mag950 pump.

http://www.freedomaquarium.com/

Thanks,
Dennis

Welcome to Reeffrontiers Dennis!!!

I don't have any personal experience with this unit. However, just looking at their web page, I would not purchase this unit.

Take a look at a cut-away of this unit.
features.jpg

Clearly, most of the water that the pump sucks in bypasses the protein skimmer altogether and goes right back into the tank. Even if the design of the protein skimmer was good (which it isn't), this unit is sucking in water from the bottom of the tank instead of the surface of the water. Obviously, that's problematic because skimmable organics are hydrophobic. Therefore they are going to be located on the surface of the water and never get skimmed.

The sponges used for biological filtration will work. However, there's problems there too. It looks darn-near impossible to remove them for cleaning. Beyond that, the sponges are going to turn into a "nitrate factory" because there will be too much Oxygen for denitrification.

The way the carbon is situated is definately not ideal for chemical filtration. Running carbon passively is not the best way to use it and I can't think of a more passive way to run it as there is no possibility of flow through the carbon packet.

Heck, I don't even like their web page. All of the testimonials are from their dealers with the exception of two customers who didn't leave their last name. The last testimonial is from an "Aquarium Writer" and I googled to find out what Ray Chapman authored. This web page is the extent of his writing and it's on freshwater fish and not saltwater fish. http://www.geocities.com/freshwateraquariumfish/

Hi I sell those filters a lot and you have to make sure that you get the new type
of system, becaues there is an old version of the filter and it was problem with the hose on the venturi intake being blocked on the injector.

Ok what do mean,are you talking about the carbon filter? If so than i can understand that but if you will look at the digram thats on the back of the filter
The slots are 3" high and 2" wide where the injector sits down in the skimmer
and that lets water flow down to the carbon, And if like many of them comes with a mag drive pump 700 or taam Hyperflow 26 pump, That pulls water from the surface like the over flow box on a tank But yeah maaan very little flow.:D

I could see where these would be good on nano's as I've seen some similar but on larger systems, it would still become a nitrate factory unless you cleaned the pads daily, you can't have that in a reef tank, it just won't work.

Dennis see your from LA, what part? Welcome to RF!

Welcome to RF Dennis!!! Also, great observations Curt with a breakdown of the filter. I guess someone will chime in along with "Dee" with some on hands experience with them:)

Curt, thank you for the info! It makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm from Houma, LA which is located in the southeast portion of Louisiana. I've dreamed of having a saltwater aquarium since I was a child but my father was opposed to that idea. However, he always had a 55 gallon freshwater aquarium up and running.

Well my dream came true a few months ago. My wife bought me a 90 gallon aquarium from a LFS while I was out of town and surprised me when I returned home for our wedding anniversary in Sept. 2006.

At this point, I'm trying to clean things up along the back of my tank. It's starting to getting cluttered with equipment.

I have the following running on the tank:
1. an unknown venturi protein skimmer (says Octupus HOT on the sales receipt but resembles a Bak-Pak 2R+) with a GX-1000 submersible pump (which is big & gaudy).
2. Marineland Emperor 400 Bio-wheel Powerfilter (too small for aquarium, not sure why LFS sold to wife).
3. Eheim Wet/Dry Filter System Model 2229 (I added about 3 weeks ago).
4. 250 watt Visi-Therm Stealth submersible heater (I added).
5. 2- Maxi-Jet 900 powerheads hanging in the back corners (I added).
6. 80 lbs of live rock (I added 20 lbs) and 40 lbs of deco rock.
7. 2 inches of live sand bed, 75 lbs.
8. Corallife Power Compact lighting, 2-65 watts Actinics 450 nm & 2-65 watts 10000K.
9. Niveaumat Top Off Water Replacer (I added).
10. 10-hermit crabs & 5-Turbo snails.

My protein skimmer seems to do an excellent job; however, it does retrieve water several inches below the water's surface. I have contemplated buying an AquaC Remora Filter Boxes to get my skimmer to filter more of the surface water and to somewhat hide the gaudy pump.

My wife initially began my tank with 2-blue devil damselfish and a 4-striped damsel. After a month and half, I added 2-clownfish. One of the blue damselfish was aggressive so he was removed and returned to the LFS since he had already removed half of the 4-striped damsel's tail and was beginning to pick on my beautiful clownfish. A few weeks later, the aquarium was doing wonderful so I decided to push my luck. I regrettably purchased a large Powder Blue Tang and Yellow Tang at my LFS. That Powder Blue Tang was beautiful. He did fine for about 2 weeks then he developed ICH and eventually died after a week. After researching, I'm a little upset that my LFS sold him to me (although I know its my fault). Shortly after his death, the ICH parasites must have jumped ship and attacked my clownfish. They perished a few days later. So far, my Yellow Tang has hung in there with the assistance of a cleaner shrimp. I also had a cleaner wrasse in the tank but he died after a few days due to the 2nd blue devil damsel messing up one of his fins. And he was doing an excellent job cleaning my Yellow Tang. I'm going to try again to catch the 2nd blue damsel and return him to the LFS. Then I'll add another cleaner wrasse.

My game plan is to wait a few weeks for this ICH to disappear, then I'll get a another pair of clownfish. I would love to add another Powder Blue Tang in a year or so but I would hate to kill another beautiful specimen. I guess I'll see how well my setup and my tank managing skills are progressing when the itch comes. After about 6-9 months, I would like to get into anemones and corals. But again, that's going to depend on my setup and tank managing skills.

Does anyone have any idea if the Eheim Wet/Dry 2229 filter is going to be a nitrate problem for me in the future? I have not had any problems thus far but it is still early in my system. I have yet to test positive for any ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates.

Thanks for the help!

I've learned a lot in the past 2 months, and sometimes it's been overwhelming. At times, I've tried to absorb too much. In these 2 months, I've basically read The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner, The New marine Aquarium by Paletta, Aquarium Keeping & Rescue by DelFavero, The book of the Marine Aquarium by Dakin, Aquarium Corals by Borneman, and Invertebrates: A Quick Reference Guide and Corals: A Quick Reference Guide by Julian Sprung / Oceanographic Series.

Last edited:
Well sounds like you have a good head start LOL, don't worry in time it will get better, I'm from Lafayette BTW. Check out my tank in the members show case forum, it is overwhelming, breaking the bank that is:shock:

Congrats on diving in to the hobby! :D

Does anyone have any idea if the Eheim Wet/Dry 2229 filter is going to be a nitrate problem for me in the future? I have not had any problems thus far but it is still early in my system. I have yet to test positive for any ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates

As far as that goes, anything that says wet/dry is basically a nitrate factory...Even the bio-wheel you are using in your Emperor power filter shouldn't be used (except in a fish only setup where fish can tolerate a bit of nitrates, but you will be plagued with nuicance algae). Eventually it will catch up with you in most cases. They have no way of getting rid of nitrates as it is their end product. I'd let the rock do all the biological filtration and denitrification for you and allow your skimmer along with your regular water changes aid it along the way:)

I see that all of these posts are relatively older posts. I was recommended a Freedom Filter for my 55g tank due to space restrictions. I have no access to the back or sides, or underneath. A canister type was my only option. I am curious if there is anyone with long term experience. So far, I have been running my setup for almost 4 months and my only complaint is the surface filtration. The skimmer has worked well, and the levels in my tank have been nil.

I really want to know success/failure stories. I am curious if this will be a long term solution for me, or something I will have to remedy down the road!

Thanks!

I too have a 55 gallon but not the restrrictions that you appear to have. I have had my freedom filter in use for 9 months now. I have no complaints at this point. Seems like a well mfr'd unit. I actually do have a sump and closed loop installed in my system so I can not completely evaluate the unit on sole performance merit. I would say that I believe it has made a huge difference in my all parameters of my system and I'm happy to have it running complimentary to my sump and CL. If it was the only filter/skimmer available to me or best option, I'd definately go with the freedom filter over HOB skimmer and canister filter. I'm also running the Rio 2400 pump. I used a mag 7 breifly and it was way to loud for my liking.

Back