all my fish have ich

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan,

Assuming you are referring to a fish QT. . .The usual instructions is, as you have been informed, to make a water change every two days when performing a hyposalinity treatment. I understand your frustration with this. :rolleyes: I have never done this. :evil: I just monitor the water for proper quality and, if the bubbles from the corner sponge filter 'linger too long' on the surface, make a large water change to export some organics.

At any time I get nitrite or ammonia readings, a large water change is in order (sometimes twice a day, if necessary).

I don't believe a hospital or QT must be kept running. Really the only functional aspect of the QT or hospital tank that is needed on a 'standby basis' is the biological filter. I keep a QT dry and clean ready for action, but I keep a corner, sponge filter in the main system so it will be seeded with functional bacteria that I can then be placed into the QT which can be setup in a few minutes.
:)

I spent three of my four college years working with Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans). The amount of myth-information in this hobby is amazing.

I have summarized much of the myths and facts about this parasite is this post:
http://www.reefland.com/forum/marin...e-treatment/20321-marine-ich-myths-facts.html
I invite everyone interested in Marine Ich to read that thread.

I only 'speak up' on this subject as the reply to a post with 0 replies, but I also do post when there is some mis-information. Hence the reason for this post.

salwater newbie,
Marine Ich has no dormant phase to its life cycle. Please read the above post. :exclaim: Thanks! :cool:

Live long and prosper! :D [/U][/U]

I keep a QT dry and clean ready for action, but I keep a corner, sponge filter in the main system so it will be seeded with functional bacteria that I can then be placed into the QT which can be setup in a few minutes.

Aahhh...very smart! :idea: :)

Will cycle my tank for 8 + weeks! Will set up QT tank for 6 weeks for new fish. By the way Lee, thanks for your research and the mythbustin'.

Kris

Back