almost a complete loss

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jezzeapi, Glad to hear that your jaguar cichlid made it. I hope you got your dad a good Xmas/holiday present.

BTW How big is your managuensis? Must be one big mean fish.

My catfish, also in a 125 gallon tank, barely survived. I tried warming up water with sterno, a ultra slow and long process, and I eventually ran out of sterno. The tank got down to 61 deg after 5 days. I wish I knew about scytale's trick earlier.

The jaguar is a little over a foot. Up until a year ago there was a foot long albino oscar in there that was her "boyfriend". They tried laying eggs, it didnt work out. Unfortunetly the oscar died at about age 4 due to something internal. The fish looked so good I couldnt figure out how it died. It was just sitting on the bottom of the tank not moving or breathing. If it it weren't for his lack of movment I could of sworn he was still alive.

My mom checked the temp in the tank when the power came back on she and said it was down to 64. The addition of 8 gallons of hot water 2 to 3 times a day managed to keep a glass tank in the unheated part of the house at that high of a temp even after 8 days. I was pretty impressed.

we were the hardest hit area they say... east side of woodinville. Our power was out for just over 8 DAYS!!!! Driving out on woodinville-duvall road it looked like a hurricane hit. ill have to post some pictures of it...

i am soo glad that we had a generator... unfortunatly a faulty one. It surged and blew everything out that it was hooked up to at around 6am last friday. luckily the main electronics had surge protectors, but the furnace, a pond pump and fishtank pump didnt... bi bi furnace! the dang generator was only used 3 times!!! costco and homedepot did get generators in around tuesday.

luckily our tank was setup on a small 2500 watt generator dad had borrowed from work. the bad part for us was that when the 5500 (big one) blew up, all we had powering the tank was a little 1200 watt that was only enough to power a pump to circulate the tank and a lil 100 watt heater... dad had to drive to seattle to get the 2500 gen, but took him 4 hrs because the bridge was closed. i was freaking when i saw that the temp got down to 68. i covered every lil opening with towels to keep the heat in and wrapped the sides. it was funny looking...

We didnt loose anything except our naso (which was fighting ich before) who somehow became anemones dinner...

i feel soooo sorry to hear everyones losses. i consider myself lucky that dad is always prepared... :p

Here are some pictures i dug up that i took of woodinville-duvall road... this was a few days after, so the cables were already moved off the road. We lost 18 trees alone in our backyard...

Copy4of1.jpg

Copy5of1.jpg

Copy3of1.jpg

hehe sorry this one is so bad...

Copy2of1.jpg

Copyof1.jpg

Last edited:
wow those are some serious pics! I knew it was bad around here but wow great shots!

did you guys hear on that thursday night seahawk game against the 49er's where the announcer said " a wind storm of gust up to 90 mph im from south florida and we call that a hurricane" I thought it was funny.

Back