already having heat issues....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mattseattle

so I have a question about external pumps. I am running a Sequence Dart and a Sequence Barracuda. The Dart is my return pump and the Barracuda is the closed loop. Is it natural for both of these 2 pumps to contribute to a rise in water temperature? The reason I ask is I woke up this morning and the new tank's water is at 81 degrees. I checked the heater and it's set at 74 degrees but to make sure it's not contributing I just unplugged it for now. I checked the motor of the DART and it's running about 110 and the Barracuda is running about 103. The Volute part is about room temperature at 75 - 76. I thought external pumps were not supposed to contribute to heat in the water?

Matt, you arent the first person to have their tank heat up with Sequence pumps.. I've heard so many great things about those pumps but I have also never seen anyone running them without a chiller :) External pumps do transfer less heat but inevitably some heating does occur regardless of the pump brand.

thanks! that is what I figured.... :)

The tank will have a chiller on it but right now it's taking care of the other tank which have the livestock still in it! Soon enuff, I hope.

Thanks John!

-Matt

Well you can always put a fan blowing onto the motor, that will help. You can also attatch a compter heat sink to the motor.

Yeah, I think a fan blowing on the DART will help. It's in the stand next to the sump so I probably need more air flow. The barracuda is behind the stand and well ventilated. Thanks for the tips....

Both, submerged and external pumps, contribute to heating the water to some degree. If you're going to move your chiller over to your new set up, I wouldn't worry about it...

well I put a small fan blowing on the Dart to see if that helps some. But yeah I agree with you - once the chiller moves over it won't be an issue.

I think I know of a member here from the Bahamas that had tons of problems with heat issues. He's a freak though...:p Hope you get sorted out Matt:)

I think I know of a member here from the Bahamas that had tons of problems with heat issues. He's a freak though... Hope you get sorted out Matt

you think?:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

a little fan will be less electricity than having your chiller cycle a few extra times per day. i would run the fun/ventilate even when you get the chiller moved over. Hell, I just added a 3rd fan to my canopy to try and reduce how often my chiller is on.

Mat

Matt I have a new Sq4200 It runs super quiet & very little heat, Your Dart may have issues, if it was whining it may make more heat. I really don't like the idea that they changed the motor manufactures on some of the lower power pumps. The 4200 is very similar to your Dart. One thing to help put things at ease, I've contacted these guys twice in the last two years & got great feedback. Even if your pump is quiet I'd want to take it back, also it is running hotter the your other pump when it should be running cooler.

Hey Matt,
My Sequence 1000 series seems to run @ about 81 degrees. Ed came over with an infered thermometer and checked it out when I first water tested my tank. I don't think you can get away without the chiller. Especially when the hallides are on. That said, I havn't had any probs with it in 8 months of operation.
Scott

Scooterman said:
Matt I have a new Sq4200 It runs super quiet & very little heat, Your Dart may have issues, if it was whining it may make more heat. I really don't like the idea that they changed the motor manufactures on some of the lower power pumps. The 4200 is very similar to your Dart. One thing to help put things at ease, I've contacted these guys twice in the last two years & got great feedback. Even if your pump is quiet I'd want to take it back, also it is running hotter the your other pump when it should be running cooler.

yeah, my Dart has the older Baldor motor and not the new Hubble motor. I bought the Dart about a year ago but just now put it into service. I am going to call Chris @ Sequence in the morning and talk to him about the heat and see what he says.

szidls said:
Hey Matt,
My Sequence 1000 series seems to run @ about 81 degrees. Ed came over with an infered thermometer and checked it out when I first water tested my tank. I don't think you can get away without the chiller. Especially when the hallides are on. That said, I havn't had any probs with it in 8 months of operation.
Scott

yeah, the chiller is going to be a must....i definitely know that.

Well, my Dart is running at about 98 degrees right now with a fan blowing near it. The Barracuda is running about 100 degrees on the hottest spot on the body. I need to check the tank water again and see....

Back