Alright...Here we go!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, Rob...Before I installed it, I had another skimmer running. My tank was new and had been cycling for 2-3 weeks. After about the 3rd week, my old skimmer stopped producing junk so I figured it removed everything. After hooking up the Aqua C, and a 2 day break in period, I got a collection cup full of nasties which I thought wasn't there...And I hadn't added anything new to the tank (and I have no fish)

I really like it. It is quiet...Very quite. The only thing I can hear coming from it if I really listen good and hard is a little hiss coming from the air inlet, but nothing I could hear with my cabinet closed. When first opening the air valve for the first time or starting it back of after a power outage or cleaning, it will hiss a little louder until the chamber fills back up and then it goes back to normal. Honestly you got to be a dog to hear it, or I'm just going deaf from installing too many stereos (LOL)

To test out how sensitive the skimmer was to any kind of load, I added a piece of LR into my tank about 3 days after the skimmer stopped producing any more junk. I would say within about 2 hours the most, the skimmer went crazy and started removing junk out of the water again! I'm extremely happy with it so far and can't wait to add fish to see how it really performs. The owner of the LFS son has a Proaquatics skimmer now that he has hanging on his sump. He thought it was "da bomb" until he saw the Aqua C in action...Now he wants one and is actually in the States now trying to pick one up while he is on vacation. Good luck Rob and if you have anymore questions just let me know.

Thanks Krish, that's great to hear how well its working for you!
One more question for you though... I seen the pictures on you other thread showing how the skimmer is hooked up... Are you using the foam piece on the intake of the mag pump that's powering your skimmer? If so... Have you tried running it without the foam piece? I bet your skimmer might pull a little more out of the water without the foam piece trapping things within it and eventually decomposing until you get around to cleaning it out. Just an idea...

Thanks Krish, that's great to hear how well its working for you!
One more question for you though... I seen the pictures on you other thread showing how the skimmer is hooked up... Are you using the foam piece on the intake of the mag pump that's powering your skimmer? If so... Have you tried running it without the foam piece? I bet your skimmer might pull a little more out of the water without the foam piece trapping things within it and eventually decomposing until you get around to cleaning it out. Just an idea...

Yes I am using the foam piece. I never thought about it that way though. However, I don't think that all what is being pulled out of the water by the skimmer, could be trapped by the sponge (because the particles are so small) but definately some could. I don't really like the idea though of having my pump sitting on the input side of my sump sucking in too much junk and messing up the pump. I'd rather just clean it when I do my daily rounds of changing filter floss etc.

Krish, I'm glad you are happy with that skimmer. It really is a good design

Thanks Marc...I figured if you are using one I guess it couldn't be too bad of a skimmer :D Thanks for dropping in. I know you are the President of another forum and it's good to know that you will still find time to visit us and offer your thoughts and opinions which is so much valued.

Like I said, it was just an idea, Krish. What ever works for you is all that really matters.
I’d just hate to think that at some point when your skimmer wasn’t producing anything that it could possibly be because of that foam piece being all clogged up but it’s good to hear that you are aware of it needing frequent cleaning.
Man!... I can’t wait until I get my own someday.... :D

Thanks Rob...I may eventually remove the sponge because you made a very important point. The pumps really don't cost much at all so it may be worth it to just remove it. I'd just need to clean the pump itself more frequently. I guess they put them there to increase the lifespan of the pump, but for only about $50, if I get atleast a years work out of it, it would have only costed me about 96 cents a week!

Nah Krish. I’m sure that pump will last you longer than that. I’m using a couple right now that are now older than two years. Really reliable IMO.

Very awsome looking tank. I look forward to seeing the tank progress. All you members that take pride in your tanks, inspire me. Thanks for all your hard work.

Thank you Detri for your compliments and your appreciation of what everyone here does. My setup is quite different from everyone elses with the rock background and all. Trying to see if maybe I can accomplish something good and at the same time be different. I don't know if you got to see that last pic I posted of my tank when I changed the lights. In case you didn't get a chance to see it, here is the thread. Thanks again for your compliments.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9981

Back