Alternative Reactor Media

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Here's a question....does the phosphate content matter if you run the effluent through a Ferrous oxide phosphate remover, like dgasmd did? Seems like this is a good idea, instead of fighting how much phosphate content media has, why not run it through a remover? Other than replacing the media every so often - are there any reasons as to why this isn't a good idea?

What effect would the pH of effluent water have on the remover media - say pH of 6? Do you know what point the ferrous oxide becomes soluble? Is it still going to bind phosphate at that low of pH, and would it release anything bound to the remover at this pH?

"What is your thought on the SeaChem Grey Coast Calcite "
I was asking RH Farley about this one on his forum and he speculated it might be OK to mix it in with a typical CaCO3 media at up to a 20% ratio. My concern was that one or the other media might dissolve out faster and leave the other behind, but Randy didn't see this as being a problem. Its a recent thread on RC Chem forum, but you can find the analysis of the content of the stuff on the Seachem site. You might want to consider the content of some other elements in this stuff, like iron, before you use it.

That looks like some nice stuff. 98 % pure calcite. But do not forget that is % = 99.66 % which means there is .34 % of other unlisted ions, meaning 3,400 ppm other things out of 1,000,000 ppm total. It is 996,600ppm (those meaured) to 3,400pmm not measured. So what make upo the other 3,400 ppm ?? A lot of that could be phosphate. Ask them :D

Yea I did and they said they dont have any info on that. Would this not be comparable to most calcium reactor medias on the market??

MIke

I've read the first page, but not the rest as I wanted to post my experience. I have used "fine" koralith media from the beginning. I have since then changed to Koralith "coarse" media which look like big rocks. WIth having larger rocks, you are able to pass water through those channels not causing any PO4 pockets. I also had to lower my PH a bit in order for the rocks to start dissolving but that is because they are more compact. I feel that having coarser media has a better chance of having any debris getting stuck rather than fine where there is minimal to no flow. The coarser media has lasted longer for me. If I was to buy new media, I would definitely choose coarse over fine.

Yes, its a Korallin 3002.

Also, if you think about it, your pump should be easier to tune as flow can flow through easier through the media if you're using coarse.

Well the concept for some reactors is to fliudise the media, what this does is expose more surfae area for the media to be melted at any given time. It also helps reduce co2 loss a little. Going to coarse would defeat that purpose, how much of a true effect this would have I am not sure.

Mojo

I would assume it is as good as any other

and yes bigger rocks are going to have less surface area, so one wold have to lower the pH even more, kicking out even more CO2. However, less surface area may = less PO4 out put. It would depend on the geochemistry of the rock, where the PO4 may be more deeper in to the rock. It would be a function of its geologic environment and origin of formation.

Well, I just spent the last 2 hours taking apart my Ca reactor to clean the clogged pad at the bottom. This was even with the Schuran media. I think it had a lot to do with my pH probe crapping out on me and the CO2 being so high thinking I was not getting enough in. Tons and tons of tiny little particles. I must have had close to 2 lb of sand in there. Now with a new probe and meter we'll see how it goes.

I will try the coarser Korallith next.

Alberto, i've cleaned out my reactor media before with the coarse just as a maintenance routine I have and never noticed fine sand at the bottom. The pad did need to be rinsed out and it turned into its original white color. One thing that might help is increasing the effluent flow in order to help the chamber flow inside. Thats how i have mine. I dont count drops, but instead go by the PH of the effluent.

Invincible I have strugggled with bith large and small media, I have found that it really doesnt matter what you start with you always end up with the small eventually, I guess just a part of the stuff melting at some point it get small?

I run a deltec but its and older one, the new ones now have the sponge (like yours I assume) to catch this fine particle. This small media dust seems to be the bain of the reactor cloging up from time to time. I have a little trick I learned to clean the reactor of this stuff, I am not sure if it works on the unit you have but it did a great job on my deltec. you disconnect the input line and put the output line either outside or to the sink, then hook up the input line to the tap faucet that your RO/DI unit is attached to. then just run the unit as normal with out the co2, with the tap pressure and the circulation in the reactor it flushes the media of any of the overly fine particles.

On the media front I got a price on the material listed above at $.16 per pound, I will get a shipping cost on Monday hopefully.

Mike

The strange thing Is I have had my Korallin for almost 2yrs now... I have burned thru a good 30lbs of ARM and have yet cleaned the little filter pad at the bottom... The bottom of the reactor stays clean as can be... I run ph of 6.5 in the first chamber and 6.7 in the second... Never have I rinsed the media Either..

James

Ok on the sizes, the coarse grain is the size of cracked pepper corn and the small grain is the size of medium beach sand. Anyone have a clue what the size of medium beach sand is??

Anyway the cost of a 100 pound bag delivered to me is $ 16 bucks

Mike

Yeah, and I bet $10 of that is the shipping. If that is as good as some of the media that is out there now, then the vendors should easily realize why we get frustrated with the pricing.

Back