Aluminum Welding?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yes Thank you Rob for the offer. I too took a welding class in college and I remember the instructor saying that you get the best and easiest welding with AL from a TIG set up. Will a MIG work, sure, you just may end up with scrap metal in the end if not done correctly.

Todd: I may or may not have a line on someone (or two) closer with a TIG set up. Only thing might be is we would have to supply the AL rod/spool. I'll let you know what I find out. Gotta love them race car builders.

Cheers,
Alex

I'm in either way as would really like to get this frame welded up before it causes any further delays in my build. Central Welding Supply has everything we would need and don't mind picking up a spool of wire,just let me know. I have been hoping that someone here on RF or ? would be able to do the welding with my help so I could also learn how (in person) vs taking it to Glen's.

Cheers, Todd

I took a class on TIG, but it is not the easiest thing to do and has been awhile. I do have a friend who's roommate has a MIG welder as well as a plasma torch. If you have the skills, we could probably use the equipment, but I don't know near enough to direct the operation...

Will do Todd. One of the people I need to check with is my wifes cousin in Sedro Wooley. He builds race car motors and cars(?) for sprint car racing up north. And I'm sure if he has the set up he would help and show us how to do it too. I am trying to avoid paying shop time for a simple tank rim replacement.

I too have ben hoping for someone here on RF (closer to us) that would have a TIG set up and AL spool. Guessing it is not a common thing around these parts.

Rob: I know how to run a MIG, but never played with Plasma before.

Took a welding course back in college. The single atom oxide layer on aluminum is very hard to penetrate. From my understanding the only way to weld aluminum is with TIG.

I don't have a machine, but I have a book you can borrow that will tell you how to do it if you are familiar with TIG (need special settings to get it done right.) Anyway, it has great pictures.

Good luck.

rob

aluminum can be welded with oxy/acetelene and the correct flux, you also need cobalt blue len's to see properly, aluminum car bodies were all done this way before TIG's came available, after restoring many exotic European cars and miles of welding aluminum with o/a all I can say is Tig is nice for pipe and billet but not so good for hammerwelding body panels lol

TODD in 2 weeks i will be having my light rack welded!! across the street from my work is FABTEC i have a in there and when the tig welder comes back from central welding (in 2 weeks) i will be getting my little jig welded...you want to get yours done aswell.....not sure how much but cheap...i will be headed trought seatle saturday

You need to be calling Aluminum boat builders. There are several shops around that will usually help out and point you in the right direction. Hope this tip is helpful.:rockon:

If you were closer I would bring It by and I would do it for you , have been welding most of my life . AL is nice to weld except for the high frequency start . The easiest way is tig but Mig works well for production jobs if set up right , you can use a standard mig that pushes the wire to the gun but AL is soft and gets stuck a lot of the time in the liner , most guys will use what is called a spool gun , its basically a small roll of filler wire at the end of the gun that has a very short distance to travel to meet the work piece . I have gas welded AL but its a pain , Carbon arc welding works too but it pretty nasty .

We weld Aluminum on a daily basis with both a push/pull gun and a spool gun with MIG welders. We have never cleaned anything with acetone just a stainless steel brush. Most of our aluminum is used on haul truck trailer lids in a mining environment so the welds have to hold up to some extreme forces.

I just sold a little Miller Diversion 165 for $350. Anyone can tig weld with the little Millers. Wish I would have know you guy needed it.

Don

Back