Amphiprionidae (Clownfish) Workshop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Damsel, I like yours also :)
Try starving the tank out for a week and just feeding the nori. I bet when it comes down to eating or not and they see the tang eating they will join in the feast!

dumb question from a rookie, iwe have two black and white clowns with no other colour. should i assume they are onyx?

thank you for such a fast reply, we bought an established tank (180g) and were only told black purculas, now i can research more

thank you for such a fast reply, we bought an established tank (180g) and were only told black purculas, now i can research more

yeah even in the industry it is very confuisng as alot of dealer/wholesaler/importer cannot label them correctly.

But from your description, without any orange, it's probably a full black ocellaris. Onyx percula no matter how black, will have somewhat orange.

hey i just noticed you are in TO i lived in st catharines until 6yrs ago, nice to meet a fellow canadian on here

Ok... I have read the entire thread. I have 2 GSM's the larger (3-4") of the 2 I have had for about a yr and the smaller (max 2") I got about 3 months ago. Both were purchased as tank raised. When I added the smaller one the larger actually grew almost an inch. The male being the smaller and younger does not have gold stripes yet.

At what age do the stripes actually get the so called gold?
And at what age are they capable of breeding?
Will GSMs spawn when they are living in pulsing xenia?

I know that the next questions will most likely be covered later... but still want to ask now.
What type of filter is the best to use for a fry tank?
Do the parents need to be tranfered also?
Food... Reading and listening to people on what to feed fry gets me all mixed up. Are you going to go into and possibly list what foods are needed at what point and how to make them?

Thanks... Really looking forward to reading more on the clown care page.
Nate

Need anenome help!!

Hello everyone. I was just wondering if anyone had a list of indo-pacific anenomes, hard/soft coral, or live rock for clownfish. i want to build a sweet reef inside a 55 gal. for a while before i actually get the fish, but i want to make sure i dont end up getting the wrong stuff like my friend did, now boris and deloris have no anenome to mate in. anyways any information would be helpful, the wierder the colors the better!

Thanks for the help

Kyle

From what I remembered, this thread has not been updated for awhile, so I will answer some of the questions before the owner jumps in.

At what age do the stripes actually get the so called gold?
At least 2-3 years before you even see the slightest yellowish tint, I have not seen any t.r. GSM that reached the w.c. GSM complete yellowish/gold color yet. It seems that it is either missing something in the captive environment or it just takes a long long time. Typical breeders need to hold these GSM stock for 1.5 - 2 yrs before they can sell, and there are alot of fighting (causing deformity); not the best sellers for breeders.

And at what age are they capable of breeding?
Do not have definite answer, but from what I read, at least a minimum of 3-5 years.

Will GSMs spawn when they are living in pulsing xenia?
yes, as long as they feel comfortable. However you might wanted to provide spawning media for easier removal (i.e. pot or tile)

I know that the next questions will most likely be covered later... but still want to ask now.
What type of filter is the best to use for a fry tank?
Depending on the tank size, sponge filter to totally no filtration (daily water change from the parent system) can be utilize. Sponge filter for too young fries might actually kill them because the bubbles lift them up, making the fries hard to swim.

Do the parents need to be tranfered also?
no, parents will eat their young once they hatch

Food... Reading and listening to people on what to feed fry gets me all mixed up. Are you going to go into and possibly list what foods are needed at what point and how to make them?
If you are looking into breeding, you will need rotifiers & baby brime shrimp. You should have a stable culture of rotifers (and its food phytoplankton) ongoing, once that is stable and concentration is at a high enough stable concentration, you can start to rear the young.

My suggestion if you really wanted to pursue the breeding game is to take a look at Joyce Wilkerson's book "Clownfish"; it's known as the clownfish bible among the circles.

good luck

Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm trying to get back to writing here ;) Don't give up hopes yet.....

Best,
Ilham

Barbie!!!!!

I'm trying to log on msn more... I am not ready to plunge in yet :|

Soooon....

Best,
Ilham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back