An interesting damsel. Neoglyphidodon sp. Id?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Brie

BRA
I had an order of these come into work, mislabeled as Talbots... I figured they were a Neoglyphidodon, which turned out to be correct upon further research. So far I've only been able to find 2 photos on google that look exactly like these fish, but each was labeled as something else. I was wondering if anyone else has seen these and if they know what species they are? I picked up a couple for myself, I really like them, at least for now until they probably turn grey. lol. They range from a neon orange(like seen in the link below) to a pastel pink.

Quality Marine: "Fire Damsel"

Last edited:
That's a pretty damsel! Too bad alot of them turn out to be territorial and they lose their beautiful color as they mature. This is another example which is one I caught a few years back. Real pretty blue spots as seen in the picture, but as they mature, they turn into the ugly duckling. He was a terror as well!! :shock:

That's a pretty damsel! Too bad alot of them turn out to be territorial and they lose their beautiful color as they mature. This is another example which is one I caught a few years back. Real pretty blue spots as seen in the picture, but as they mature, they turn into the ugly duckling. He was a terror as well!! :shock:

Yeah, the one in your pic is the jewel damsel. Similar to the "velvet" damsels... The whole Neo. family are pretty when little, and evil, ugly and big when adult.

Are you sure their not just a juvinile coloration of Pomacentrus bankanensis?

Nope, look nothing like those. The ocelli is in the wrong spot, and they lack the other markings these fish have. I looked up a bunch of different Pomacentrus as suggested on wetweb, but these are different.

Back