Angry Clownfish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

YamahaF934

So I have a pair of false clowns. And the female is really mean. . Every time I stick my hand into the tank or even my tongs she attacks them. There is no anemone or anything for them . . .

I have heard about this from tomato etc. but is there anything to do?

That's odd, usually they're more aggressive when they're hosting something, on the other hand, they can be protecting a part in the tank where they will lay eggs.

mine use to do that to. so i started chasing it around the tank and stuff. then i rearranged all the rock work where she usually hung out and she quit. im guessing cause her "territory" was gone she had nothing to defend anymore

My meanest clown is the female tomato clown, the false perc and the GSM are tame by comparison.

My meanest clown is the female tomato clown, the false perc and the GSM are tame by comparison.

I bet. . .

I think the whole tank is hers because she sleeps on the right hand side of the tank but when I put my hand in on the far left in a 4 foot tank she runs over to bite me!

Mine have a moon snail shell that they call home.

What age do they start to lay eggs because they have been acting weird lately.

I have had them about only three months and got them when they were babies. But one is def bigger than the other.

I bet. . .

I think the whole tank is hers because she sleeps on the right hand side of the tank but when I put my hand in on the far left in a 4 foot tank she runs over to bite me!

Mine have a moon snail shell that they call home.

What age do they start to lay eggs because they have been acting weird lately.

I have had them about only three months and got them when they were babies. But one is def bigger than the other.

It's actually quite obvious when one is full of eggs. You can really see the bulges in her sides. I think they can start breeding pretty early...I could be wrong but I think I remember hearing that. Also they will get right into it in a new and comfortable setting. After all, their whole existence in life is to procreate.

Clowns are Damsel kin after all...
As far as something you can do, I don't think so, other than getting a longer tank so that you don't intrude on their territory as much.
Clowns will be clowns and sometimes it's not all that funny.

Last edited:
i had a pair of black Occellaris with 6 rbta's in my tank and every time i put my hand in the tank they both came up and rubbed my hand....like a cat would do it was weird but cool at the same time

My clowns sometimes try and attack me but I just show them how big my hand is and they seem to submiss to the hand.

Back