Annual BBQ/Frag Swap!! August Meeting - August 13th.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Joanne, I'm stealing your words here!!

Since it is the summer, and, we have SEAMAX in just a few weeks - we are foregoing our meeting this month...

BUT.........

NEXT MONTH IS OUR ANNUAL SUMMER BBQ AT MICHAEL & ANGIES ON SATURDAY, 8/13!!

So, if we don't see you at SEAMAX, I hope to see everyone at our BBQ next month. We hope to have a ton of great raffle prizes to give away, and like always, its going to be a great time had by all!

Now my turn...

SeaMax is going to be a BLAST!! After returning home from SeaMax, and recovering, Angie and I will start preparing for the yearly SPCDA Frag Swap/BBQ, at our home! Joanne, I'll probably attempt to recruit you, for some help, as well...lol. I promise not to run out of propane this time! We'll probably have the pool set up, for kids. Meat will be provided, in the form of burgers and hotdogs. We'll ask members to bring a dish, for a Potluck style FEAST!! Last year, we had some GREAT DISHES!! Osiel and his family brought over some amazing mexican cuisine, Ben made up some killer skewers, I burnt a bunch of burgers and singed all the hair off of my arms!!

Did we mention that, along with the BBQ, we'll have a great Frag Swap??
As with last year, we'll have a stock tank set up, for people to put corals in. Once all the corals are added, we'll be adding Interceptor, as a precautionary measure! Please feel free to bring corals to sell/trade/donate, to other members of our great club!

Last year, we had a great turn out! Angie and I lost track, at 52! Yes, we had at least 52 amazing hobbyists here! Let's get an even larger attendance this time!!

Now that SeaMax is in the books, successfully, let's get to planning for our Annual BBQ/Frag Swap, coming up in less than 3 weeks!

We'll have lots of food, friendly discussions and a great frag swap. We'll also have TONS of raffle prizes, that we were able to accumulate at SeaMax!!

As with last year, we ask members to bring a side dish of some sort, salads, desserts, chips, drinks, etc. We would also like to ask members to bring extra chairs, if at all possible.

As we learned from SeaMax, I also learned from last years BBQ. I'll have an EXTRA propane tank on hand!!

I'm unsure if I'll set up the 100 gallon stock tank, outside, this year, or if we'll use our 40 breeder. Either way, we'll have lots of room for people to bring over frags, to trade, sell, donate to new reefers, etc!

Last year, we had an amazing turn out! Let's make this year even better!!

Just follow the blue glow!

The event will be held at:

1504 W. Alice Ave.
Spokane, WA 99205

Update, watch this thread, and your own club invite threads, for a special contest, between all the neighboring clubs that we hope will attend! This contest will be held, as an incentive for our neighboring clubs to attend! Details to come, soon!

Who's the biggest reef nerd?

Reef nerds could be anyone....

- The guy who knows too much about zoas
- The guy who can ID a type of coral by its smell
- The girl who develops homemade recipes for dipping corals for pests
- The kid who watches Finding Nemo too much

...... ANYONE!

But one aspect stands out to me the most - a REAL reef nerd is someone who will travel near and far for a good REEFKEEPING PARTY! :rockon:

So, our challenge to you :) We all know Spokane is a long ways away, but it is sunny, fun, hot, and I promise, there could be cool frags, door prizes, and food waiting for you when you get there :party:

Which club will have the most attendees at our 2nd Annual Official SPCDA Reef Society BBQ/Frag Swap?!?!?!

Last year the Flathead Valley Reefers won - with quite a few of their members making the trip over the hills to visit us. It could be you this time!

As an added incentive, we are setting aside a special raffle just for you "out of towners". Every club member, of another reef club that isn't ours, will be given a ticket for the opportunity to win your choice of the wide variety of frag packs we will be giving away raffle drawing style at the event.

So, let me ask you - who doesn't like winning FREE FRAGS just for attending an event?? I know reef nerds don't mind! :dance:

Last edited:
Hi. I'm new to the forum and reefing. Would it be cool if I my husband and I came to the BBQ? Just a couple hour drive for us, not too far.

Hi. I'm new to the forum and reefing. Would it be cool if I my husband and I came to the BBQ? Just a couple hour drive for us, not too far.

Absolutely!! There's no requirement to be a member of a club. ALL hobbyists are invited!! We'd love to have you!

In fact, hoping they show up, we'll introduce you to other hobbyists, from Lewiston, that are some great friends of ours! HINT HINT Shayne and Scott. HINT HINT Tim! Hope you 3 can also make it!

Reef nerds could be anyone....

- The guy who knows too much about zoas
- The guy who can ID a type of coral by its smell
- The girl who develops homemade recipes for dipping corals for pests
- The kid who watches Finding Nemo too much

...... ANYONE!

But one aspect stands out to me the most - a REAL reef nerd is someone who will travel near and far for a good REEFKEEPING PARTY! :rockon:

So, our challenge to you :) We all know Spokane is a long ways away, but it is sunny, fun, hot, and I promise, there could be cool frags, door prizes, and food waiting for you when you get there :party:

Which club will have the most attendees at our 2nd Annual Official SPCDA Reef Society BBQ/Frag Swap?!?!?!

Last year the Flathead Valley Reefers won - with quite a few of their members making the trip over the hills to visit us. It could be you this time!

As an added incentive, we are setting aside a special raffle just for you "out of towners". Every club member, of another reef club that isn't ours, will be given a ticket for the opportunity to win your choice of the wide variety of frag packs we will be giving away raffle drawing style at the event.

So, let me ask you - who doesn't like winning FREE FRAGS just for attending an event?? I know reef nerds don't mind! :dance:

The challenge has been given!! Who accepts?

Let the games begin!

Which neighboring club will bring the most members??!!

Absolutely!! There's no requirement to be a member of a club. ALL hobbyists are invited!! We'd love to have you!

In fact, hoping they show up, we'll introduce you to other hobbyists, from Lewiston, that are some great friends of ours! HINT HINT Shayne and Scott. HINT HINT Tim! Hope you 3 can also make it!

Great! Are children welcome?

oh that's awesome! Thank you! I want to do a lot of brain picking :redface: I'm just starting up my second tank- 29 gal cube, coral friendly. Just have a FOWLR now. So, I thought your BBQ would be a good opportunity for me to learn!

There will be several brains around here to pick, though I can't guarantee the quality!

Yes, monsters...I mean children are more than welcome!! If the weather is nice, which it should be, we may set up Madison's pool, for kids to play in, so bring suites and towels! Otherwise, there will be some children here, including our daughter. They can all keep each other company!

There will be several brains around here to pick, though I can't guarantee the quality!

Yes, monsters...I mean children are more than welcome!! If the weather is nice, which it should be, we may set up Madison's pool, for kids to play in, so bring suites and towels! Otherwise, there will be some children here, including our daughter. They can all keep each other company!

Awesome! Just keeps sounding better! I have a 3 yr old lil monster. :biggrin: Is there a set time to show up?

Well, we haven't set an official time yet. Let's do that...

3:00PM! We'll start it off at 3:00PM. I think that's about when we started it, last year, anyway...lol.

3:00 PM it is!!! haha

oh that's awesome! Thank you! I want to do a lot of brain picking :redface: I'm just starting up my second tank- 29 gal cube, coral friendly. Just have a FOWLR now. So, I thought your BBQ would be a good opportunity for me to learn!

Now, if we don't see you we will all be sorely disappointed ;) hehe

We also have a few club members/friends from the Pullman/Moscow area that come up too!

3:00 PM it is!!! haha

Now, if we don't see you we will all be sorely disappointed ;) hehe

We also have a few club members/friends from the Pullman/Moscow area that come up too!

Oh, I have every intention of coming! Only possible problem is that I may have to recruit Grandma to watch my boy. He still takes long afternoon naps, and well, the term "lil monster" would take on a whole new meaning if I bring him without a nap!

If that's the only "possible problem," bring him. He can nap upstairs! We have monitors.

Oh my gosh! You're so great, thank you! Unfortunately my son isn't the type of kid who can just fall asleep in an unfamiliar place.

Last edited:
Well it looks as if Lisa, Myself and Tom will be headed over. Sooo if anyone needs anything from BRA or anything make sure to let me know ahead of time!

Just sent out the email-vite :) So, frags packs have been announced, AND, you can buy your raffle tickets now if you have spare change in your Paypal or think you may not make it! Spokane Coeur d Alene Reef Society Membership Info - Spokane Reef Society

What would an annual BBQ and frag fest be without awesome raffle prizes! We have TONS of loot from SEAMAX to give away (yes, we will have door prizes! Everyone who comes to the meeting will have an entry into our door prize drawing)

Plus, we have these great frag packs we will be raffling off - all donated to the club by Ben (faciosity), Michael (returnofsid) and Joanne (estanoche)... more corals will likely be added later as we put them together:

Squishy Zoa/LPS Pack:
Lunar Eclipse Zoas
Gobstopper Morph Zoas
Three-head duncan frag
LA Lakers Zoas

"Blue" SPS Pack:
Oregon Tort
Seattle Sparkler
Bali Tri Color Acro
Mystery Mariculture Acropora Frag

"Easy Breezy Summer BBQ" SPS Pack:
Acorpora Florida (aka Leprechaun Green Slimer)
ORA Montipora Spongodes
LE Strawberry Fields Montipora Cap
ORA Red Planet

"Red and Purple" SPS/LPS Pack:
ORA Miami Orchid
Mystery Maricultured Acropora Frag
Red lava flow chalice
ATL Rommel Rainbow Millepora
Acropora Hyacinthus

Raffle tickets are $1 each for everyone, Spokane Reef Society members, buy 2 tickets, get 1 free. Also, if you are not a member yet, or its your time to renew, you will get 10 free tickets just for renewing/purchasing your membership in the month of August.

Hope to see everyone at the BBQ!

Back