(Another) Arduino Light Controller DIY build.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Eartaker, i believe you are right. But can you point me to a link that explains why i cant use the 5v pin to power my relays? No matter how hard i tried i cannot find any referrence about that. In fact i see a lot of robotic projects out there that uses the 5v pin as a regulated supply to run their other devices.

I know that the 3.3volt has limited current similar to all io pins. But nothing is mentioned about the 5v pin. And this is how mine is configured right now.

Somvan, please refrain from using the 5v pin from now, lets make sure that im not preaching the wrong gospel here. Maybe you have extra 5v power supply lying around similar to those phone chargers. Maybe you can use these for now.

Somvan, you asked before, what are the relays for. Its used for the wavemaker. To turn the pumps on and off at a certain time after several seconds or minute. It can also used for fans or fuge lights. Anything that does not use dimming.

Last edited:
Rol, i apologize, i have been so busy with work. And also been busy with a new diy led using 10 watt emitters and a new 32 gallon cube sps tank. Wow. Right now i am done with my temp monitor controller and its already part of the sketch version 2.

The only problem now is what type of thermostat you are going to use. I ended up salvaging my dead ranco controller. It might be different in your case because its not common thermostat. But i will try to update the sandbox website.

What do you want to use as a thermostat?

Eartaker, i believe you are right. But can you point me to a link that explains why i cant use the 5v pin to power my relays? No matter how hard i tried i cannot any referrence about that. In fact i see a lot of robotic projects out there that uses the 5v pin as a regulated supply to run their other devices.

I know that the 3.3volt has limited current similar to all io pins. But nothing is mentioned about the 5v pin. And this is how mine is configured right now.

Somvan, please refrain from using the 5v pin from now, lets make sure that im not preaching the wrong gospel here. Maybe you have extra 5v power supply lying around similar to those phone chargers. Maybe you can use these for now.

Somvan, you asked before, what are the relays for. Its used for the wavemaker. To turn the pumps on and off at a certain time after several seconds or minute. It can also used for fans or fuge lights. Anything that does not use dimming.

Its all about the ma required for the relay. If the relay needs 100ma@5vdc, but the arduino only puts out 40ma@5vdc per I/O pin then you can not run the relay without shorting out the I/O pin. You can have a 5v power supply for everything but if you run your circuit through the arduino you are limiting yourself for the output ma of the I/O pin. if this makes no seance PM me with a # and I will txt you.

Rol, i apologize, i have been so busy with work. And also been busy with a new diy led using 10 watt emitters and a new 32 gallon cube sps tank. Wow. Right now i am done with my temp monitor controller and its already part of the sketch version 2.

The only problem now is what type of thermostat you are going to use. I ended up salvaging my dead ranco controller. It might be different in your case because its not common thermostat. But i will try to update the sandbox website.

What do you want to use as a thermostat?
OK thanks
Have'nt got a thermostat yet.
Can you recommend one?

Fishy, it looks like complicated but its not. I meant you buy these pre assembled, so you are just putting it together. And once you introduced yourself to arduino, you will get hooked like i did. So many possibilities, for the reef, your car, your house, etc.

You can start here.
Arduino - HomePage

Rol, ok i will try tore prioritize the sandbox.

OK thanks
Have'nt got a thermostat yet.
Can you recommend one?

Rol,
The ranco controller that i used uses a NTC THERMISTOR. By using this, were not going to change anything in the code except for one or two line. The issue with these is that it uses 2 wires per thermistor. If you decided to use several themistor you will run out of pins.

Do you see my problem why i hesitated to share what i did. Its not efficient.

Here is the NTC THERMISTOR..... https://www.sparkfun.com/products/250

Here is the better alternative.... https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11050
But by using this, we will need to change the sketch and re-code it. I believe that the keyword to use in google is DS18B20 sensor for the one wire approach.

Here is one tutorial.
http://bildr.org/2011/07/ds18b20-arduino/

Last edited:
Rol,
The ranco controller that i used uses a NTC THERMISTOR. By using this, were not going to change anything in the code except for one or two line. The issue with these is that it uses 2 wires per thermistor. If you decided to use several themistor you will run out of pins.

Do you see my problem why i hesitated to share what i did. Its not efficient.

Here is the NTC THERMISTOR..... https://www.sparkfun.com/products/250

Here is the better alternative.... https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11050
But by using this, we will need to change the sketch and re-code it. I believe that the keyword to use in google is DS18B20 sensor for the one wire approach.

Here is one tutorial.
bildr » One Wire Digital Temperature. DS18B20 + Arduino

Thanks Katchupoy
Have ordered some DS18B20's online. Cheers for the sketches.
Looking forward to the next Sandbox Page.
Very interested to see what you're working on at the moment.
How about a sneek-peek?

Thanks Katchupoy
Have ordered some DS18B20's online. Cheers for the sketches.
Looking forward to the next Sandbox Page.
Very interested to see what you're working on at the moment.
How about a sneek-peek?

Now going the DS18B20 route, you will be one step ahead of me since I dont have that temp probe. adapting it to the sketch can be done but may not be able to help you. We will see, I might need to buy one of those probes so i can play with it too and help you.

Im using the DS18B20 as well and have it working. The code is easy to add into any exsisting sketch. Let me know if you need help with it.

Sorry guys, computers went down.

I got the lights working earlier this week. I'm loving it!

A few problems though:

There is no ramping with the knobs. As I turn it, it either turns on or off at a certain point.

1 led isnt working. When I turn on that string, I can see a small glow from it, but it dosen't light up like the rest. I haven't had the chance to test that single led yet, but any ideas at this point?

Im using the DS18B20 as well and have it working. The code is easy to add into any exsisting sketch. Let me know if you need help with it.

Hi eartaker,
What the trick to getting the DS18B20 working?
"One wire does not name a type " is one of the problems.
Have got a SaintSmart UNO to test the DS18B20 and already found Display code is LiquidCrystal lcd(8, 9, 4, 5, 6, 7);
Appreciate any adviced, Thanks

Sorry guys, computers went down.

I got the lights working earlier this week. I'm loving it!

A few problems though:

There is no ramping with the knobs. As I turn it, it either turns on or off at a certain point.

1 led isnt working. When I turn on that string, I can see a small glow from it, but it dosen't light up like the rest. I haven't had the chance to test that single led yet, but any ideas at this point?

Somvan, did you figure out the issue?

Hi eartaker,
What the trick to getting the DS18B20 working?
"One wire does not name a type " is one of the problems.
Have got a SaintSmart UNO to test the DS18B20 and already found Display code is LiquidCrystal lcd(8, 9, 4, 5, 6, 7);
Appreciate any adviced, Thanks

Rol, i apologize for not being able to help you, super busy with the cube. But i think im done with it and i can put more time with this project. So Rol, did you recode the skecth thats why you are using (8,9,4,5,6,7)? Or you havent gone to the next step where we changed it to (12,13,4,5,6,7).

Im going to order those probes today so i can play with it and help you on this one.

Hi Katchupoy,

Nice sensor- have a longer cable.
Been following you cube build - Looking good!

Got a SaintSmart UNO just to test the DS18B20 without upsetting the lights controller.
Thought I'd test out the temperature and cooling fans.
Received some relays as well.
Found out the hard way that not all Arduino's are the same.

Cheers

Back