• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Another custom tank out the door!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sorry Carla I dont have another picture of it (I will see if the owner can get me one) just picture a 12 long by 4 off the back by 6 inches tall glass box with three holes drilled in for a bean animal. And yes I would imagine we could do this to any tank.

MIke

Sorry Carla I dont have another picture of it (I will see if the owner can get me one) just picture a 12 long by 4 off the back by 6 inches tall glass box with three holes drilled in for a bean animal. And yes I would imagine we could do this to any tank.

MIke

I get the idea, I think I have seen it on one of your tanks before when I picked up a skimmer, thanx for the help :).

I assume you 'can' use a more clear silicone on the bottom euro bracing if someone had plans of doing a bare bottom? (I know it eventually covered in coraline, but it would be extra ugly in the early stages that way I would thing) And rather than assume.. I know it has to be pretty strong stuff for the bracing, do they make it clear in that kind of strength, or do you have to go to top euro bracing in that case?

To the weir.. are the teeth in anyway necessary for the system to work well? Overtime, I've seen quite a few folks note that teeth aren't really necessary, and actually hurt the surface skimming as even the thin surface oil type stuff gets 'caught' on the teeth and doesn't get moved to the sump as well..

I assume you 'can' use a more clear silicone on the bottom euro bracing if someone had plans of doing a bare bottom? (I know it eventually covered in coraline, but it would be extra ugly in the early stages that way I would thing) And rather than assume.. I know it has to be pretty strong stuff for the bracing, do they make it clear in that kind of strength, or do you have to go to top euro bracing in that case?

No you can do it in clear or black, in this case it would have looked odd to have black silicone on the bottom where the panel meets the bottom and then go clear? In this case the owner is going to run a 2 inch and bed so it will be all covered.

To the weir.. are the teeth in anyway necessary for the system to work well? Overtime, I've seen quite a few folks note that teeth aren't really necessary, and actually hurt the surface skimming as even the thin surface oil type stuff gets 'caught' on the teeth and doesn't get moved to the sump as well..

The teeth are their to stop fish from spilling over the top, as per surface skimming, I wouldnt say that it would hurt it, just reduce it by the amount of teeth, I guess one could even say it makes the current stronger going in??

Mike

Stacey, there are pros and cons to everything that you do for an overflow, I think this works. I haven't had any personal experience with it, but I cannot see this business putting out a product that is bogus. Just my $.02 :).

but I cannot see this business putting out a product that is bogus. Just my $.02 :).

That is why I asked their opinion, because I know it has more weight than just the average Joe. At some point the teeth or no teeth comes down to what works best for you I think, because in essence its a tiny detail in a much bigger picture. Knowing they've likely dealt with customers on all sides of the issue, the opinion they have formed is likely well thought out and reasoned, and its nice to hear from those folks 'in the trenches' a bit rather than the more anecdotal type stuff you get a lot of when researching on your own. When I feel like I (and my bank account) am ready for that upgrade I want so badly, I have every intent of heading straight to their shop. :)

That is why I asked their opinion, because I know it has more weight than just the average Joe. At some point the teeth or no teeth comes down to what works best for you I think, because in essence its a tiny detail in a much bigger picture. Knowing they've likely dealt with customers on all sides of the issue, the opinion they have formed is likely well thought out and reasoned, and its nice to hear from those folks 'in the trenches' a bit rather than the more anecdotal type stuff you get a lot of when researching on your own. When I feel like I (and my bank account) am ready for that upgrade I want so badly, I have every intent of heading straight to their shop. :)

When I found out they made glass tanks, guess who is gonna make my downgrade, which may or may not come in the future. The one thing that brings me to that decision is WHO I am dealing with, and knowing that quality is his middle name ;).

Yes the client wanted black silicone on the tank itself. YOu then have to use it on the bottom euro bracing as it shows on the edges of the front and side panels

Mike

See,, there ya go. The obvious answer is right there in front you. Didnt think about the assembly process (Dah!!) I am glad someone is.

IMO Teeth on an overflow weir are just an obstruction and disrupt the free flowing water. With teeth you get , at best 1/2 of the potential water volume passing over the weir. You also add unwanted turbulence at the water surface. You need a larger pump to move the same amount of water over the same length weir.
The only good thing (IMO) teeth are good for is to keep small fish out of the overflow. This problem can be addressed in other ways.
Does it make your system better??? Will cause your system fail????? Which looks better? Which is easier to build? Which will cost more???

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

In my first tank I removed half the teeth in my overflow, then had snail after snail go down my drain and end up in my sump and on one occasion had an astrea snail fully block the drain and cause my water to overflow and flood my house. After that experience I will never go with out teeth again.

The only good thing (IMO) teeth are good for is to keep small fish out of the overflow. This problem can be addressed in other ways.

Didn't mean to take this so far off topic, but since I have... Mind noting the 'other ways' to address it? I haven't spent real time researching it, so if its obvious, or just repeating the same thing over and over again, I apologize...

The teeth are their to stop fish from spilling over the top, as per surface skimming, I wouldnt say that it would hurt it, just reduce it by the amount of teeth, I guess one could even say it makes the current stronger going in??

Mike

I'm going with this as well.
It has worked for me a very long time.

Back