Another Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

les

DIY Freak
I was asked to build a prototype dual stage skimmer. Here is what I came up with for my tank. After a week in operation I must confess that this monster works awsome. The overall size is 77" tall, mixing box is 24x14x31 tall. I drive the air in with a piston pump (80watt) and have used the sweetwater ultra fine stones and am now trying the 9" standard stones. This thing processes about 9 GPM as seen from the flow meter. I also have a flow meter on the air line and it runs about 125 SCFH with the 6" untra fine stones and about 180SCFH with the 9" mediums. (SCFH stands for standard cubic feet per hour)

Here is the comparison for the 6" ultra fine stones on left pic and the 9" med stones on the right.

The air flow meter I had laying around. The water flow meter I purchased from McMaster.com

scubajames said:
Hey Les i've been looking for a flow meter, where did you get yours from.

Tank Setup

Les- I've got the tank and equipment cleaned. I need to repair (acrylic wise) the tank, run some wire, plumb a CL, buy some stuff and then I should be ready to setup. I will probably give you and Rico a call just to make sure I am going about it right.
James

Back