DIY Skimmer design

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looks like figures borrowed from Escobel.

The first illustration is closer to what I am thinking but the counter current relies on a flow of water in the IN port and a am worried about trapped air and other issues of using a surface draw vs powerhead feed. If you are controlling the water level with a gate you do not even need a bottom on the air driven skimmer as drawn.

Look up the "Biocube protein skimmer" for ideas. This model is difficient in diameter, size and placement for your application but should illustrate some potential ideas for adaptation of an AIO chamber to skimming.

Thanks guys,

The skimmer will be fed at the rate of the return pump. I would like to feed the skimmer from a Coast to Coast weir. So the rate of the return pump will be about 200gph or a little less.

I will look at the links you have posted and get back to the drawing board.

Thanks a bunch for all the help here. It doesnt need to be fancy, I would just like it to be simple but very effective.
I want to build this AIO on the "Workshop Site" so many others will be able to produce it them selves if they so desire.
I wouldnt want to build this skimmer into an AIO filter system and not be able to pull good skim from the tank.

Thanks guys,

The skimmer will be fed at the rate of the return pump. I would like to feed the skimmer from a Coast to Coast weir. So the rate of the return pump will be about 200gph or a little less.

I will look at the links you have posted and get back to the drawing board.

Thanks a bunch for all the help here. It doesnt need to be fancy, I would just like it to be simple but very effective.
I want to build this AIO on the "Workshop Site" so many others will be able to produce it them selves if they so desire.
I wouldnt want to build this skimmer into an AIO filter system and not be able to pull good skim from the tank.

is it possible to have any skimming in so small a box with 200gph? maybe work backwards... how much flow can you process in the give space?

That is a very good point Sas, I wish I knew the answer. LOL Sounds like a math problem for Mojo. LOL
I could slow that rate down to 5gph if needed. It is just the flow rate of the pump I was using for the return pump. If I hard plumb the skimmer inlet (from the Coast to Coast ) I could add a ball valve to adjust the flow rate to the skimmer.

I have given up on the stairstep design, to many it wont work properly because......

I guess I lost focus on what I wanted to to with this build. Now I need to think simple and effective. And able to be built with the typical Reefer/home owners tools. That part will also be a challenge. LOL

Thanks for your input. I have been learning the dos and donts from this post.

I dont mind the peeing. Most people here know I am the tinkering type. I have always said, If you dont know, Ask.. If you dont want to hear the truth, Dont ask. All great inventions are nothing but a bunch of failures!!!!

I dont mind the peeing. Most people here know I am the tinkering type. I have always said, If you dont know, Ask.. If you dont want to hear the truth, Dont ask. All great inventions are nothing but a bunch of failures!!!!

don't know man, pee's great until it cools off then yutz! oi! just had a developmental idea for you, let me ponder a bit, um for sake of argument a box, 6'' cube, divide off one half with plate almost to bottom or adjustable up and down, airstone lives on one side blowing bubbles up into incoming overflow feed.. total bombardment, water flows under the divider taking bubbles with it to the collection cup, out flow is far side of box at bottom, can draw if need more

A pic would be great. I think Mojo had an idea on the same concept. I am open to any ideas at this point.
I read the "Skimmer 101" link that Guerry posted for me. Now I understand much better now why my first design was a turd.
Thanks Sas

Peppie

don't know man, pee's great until it cools off then yutz! oi! just had a developmental idea for you, let me ponder a bit, um for sake of argument a box, 6'' cube, divide off one half with plate almost to bottom or adjustable up and down, airstone lives on one side blowing bubbles up into incoming overflow feed.. total bombardment, water flows under the divider taking bubbles with it to the collection cup, out flow is far side of box at bottom, can draw if need more

I am missing something here. If the bubbles are in the chamber that The water is flowing in from the tank, the water is going down to the bottom to exit that chamber via under the chamber divider. So in that chamber wouldnt the bubbles up create the foam at that point?
You stated that the bubbles will flow with the water under the divider into the second section and then form foam? Caught by a colection cup.
And you stated that the water would exit at the bootm of that second chamber.

I am so confused PLEASE "DRAW" me a rendering of what you are trying to explain.

Thanks.. Now I have a headache trying to figure this out for the past hour. LOL

I am missing something here. If the bubbles are in the chamber that The water is flowing in from the tank, the water is going down to the bottom to exit that chamber via under the chamber divider. So in that chamber wouldnt the bubbles up create the foam at that point?
You stated that the bubbles will flow with the water under the divider into the second section and then form foam? Caught by a colection cup.
And you stated that the water would exit at the bootm of that second chamber.

I am so confused PLEASE "DRAW" me a rendering of what you are trying to explain.

Thanks.. Now I have a headache trying to figure this out for the past hour. LOL

it did take your mind off the other one though didn't it lol.
yes some/maybe alot of bubbles would go back up into the intake section but the ones that go under will be filthy, ok new thought, airstone at bottom of container, water goes in does the wild thang and collects at the top, then this automated sweeper thingie wipes it into a cup, no riser neck required = more useable space, meds now!!!

Perfect, now I have to go buy an "Erector Set" to build a sweepy thing and I'll have to coat that with a reef safe sealer so it doesnt rust in 24hrs. LOL.

I've got my pencil and pad on my lap..

Stayed tuned. I think I have got it figured out how to get this counter current air driven skimmer into an AIO filter system

have you build and start cut the materials yet ,,i might have skimmer answer for you

gal to skim? and how much load it will be in a year?

have you build and start cut the materials yet ,,i might have skimmer answer for you

gal to skim? and how much load it will be in a year?

No I have not yey cut anything. I did just get back from Keltech, bought some 1/4'' Plex-G and 18'' of 4 1/4 '' cylinder material, and some black acrylic.
I am all ears. Let me know what you have in mind.

No I have not yey cut anything. I did just get back from Keltech, bought some 1/4'' Plex-G and 18'' of 4 1/4 '' cylinder material, and some black acrylic.
I am all ears. Let me know what you have in mind.

this is what i have,, BK 250 supermarin in sump skimmer with 2500 Red dragon pump,still in great condition,,will do the great job for 250-450 gals skimming power,interested we can talk

this is what i have,, BK 250 supermarin in sump skimmer with 2500 Red dragon pump,still in great condition,,will do the great job for 250-450 gals skimming power,interested we can talk

that kind of takes all the DIY out of the pic. LOL

Back