any frag tank builders out there?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BobinCovington

I have been wanting to build/buy a small frag tank and perhaps combine it with a refugium/chaeto chamber. I want to have the frag tank near my sump so it just drains back into the sump chamber.
I have procrastinated for too long because I keep thinking I will find time. The final "subtle" hint was my wife looking at the frags on the rack in our display tank and saying "honey, you really need a frag tank". If anyone is interested in building one for me to make some extra $ on the side, just let me know and we can work out the details.

Details
Small 12" x 20" (or so) tank with standpipe or overflow box
frag area with different height eggcrate racks
chaeto area
simple lighting appropriate for each (T5s?)
flow w/ powerheads

I bet you matt could biuld you one.

I am still decided on if i want him to build my big tank for me but i just dont like how easy acrylic scratches

Wow Thanks for the endorsement!!!

I can indeed build any tank you need, I can design some very nice and effective frag/propagation tanks too! just give me a call anytime you would like a quote 206-372-1740! or email at [email protected]

And Fatboy, dont hesitate to buy an acrylic tank because of scratching, glass scratches easily too, just not as easy but acrylic tanks are very easy to buff out even when full and running...

Cheers!
Matt

I agree I have buffed a few myself. Couple had deepR scratches and buffed out like new just need the right sandpaper and patience I think acrylic is the way to go if glass is scratched it next to impossible to repair. BTW Matt I need a sump and Skimmer

any good suggestions or ideas on design are welcome. I need to deal with lighting and flow differences for the two sides of the tank (fuge/frag racks). Not sure yet if I want to use Chaeto or mangrove or?
I saw this homemade tank that gave me some ideas.

Again I just want a small tank that flows back by gravity to the sump

I can help design your tank, that glass tank shown above will work but will only be able to get so much flow to the frag tank portion...

matt

Yes I could supplement with powerheads. My other thought is to remodel my sump with a fuge instead of the media drawer tower. and then keep the frag tank on its own.

here is a couple of older pictures of my sump bench area and sump (the media tower is not in but takes up the left end of the sump)

Last edited:
Yes I could supplement with powerheads. My other thought is to remodel my sump with a fuge instead of the media drawer tower. and then keep the frag tank on its own.

here is a couple of older pictures of my sump bench area and sump (the media tower is not in but takes up the left end of the sump)

I think that converting the sump to a fuge and building the frag tank would be your best route. either way send me the plans and I will qoute it...

Matt

Back