"April 1st" Member Showcase

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

NaH2O

Our "April 1st" Member Showcase ;) is none other than our very own mojoreef! What a great help he has been to many of us, and we appreciate all mojo has done! I hope you enjoy the thread, and learn a little more about him, that you may not have known. Mojo may learn a little about himself, too. MikeS had the opportunity to capture some wonderful images of this unique set-up, which you will find at the bottom of the write-up. :D

Tell us about yourself

I’m Mike O’Brien, aka mojoreef. That’s all you need to know.

How did you get involved in the saltwater hobby?

I heard chicks dig it.

Tell us about your tank

Well...it's really big, like 29 gallons...I had to set it up in the garage so the family wouldn't complain about the smell. I have a pro-biological, pro-environment approach to my tank. I have a DSB...I left the sand in the plastic bags, so I can remove the sandbed easily if it becomes problematic in the future. My LR consists of 50 lbs of recycled asphalt road surfacing. It was cheap, nice and dense (more bang for your buck IMO), and no harm done to the living reef. As for livestock, well, I'm still working on that one. I have several dead coral skeletons. I like them for two reasons, visual impact, and no actual living organisims were harmed in the making of my reef.

How did you become involved with Reef Frontiers?

Hmmmmmm..........

What is your reef keeping philosophy?

Low maintenance, no maintenance, its all good.

What is your dream tank?

I have this vision of a tank in the shape of an "L".

Do you have any advice for others?

Don’t be afraid to think outside the box. Lava lamps and disco balls are the next “in” thing for reef tanks.

Click on the images to enlarge them:

View attachment 11569 View attachment 11570 View attachment 11571 View attachment 11572 View attachment 11573

Asphalt

I thought I was the only one using old asphalt in a reef. :lol:
Paul

Holy Crap! Where did you get that lighting. Ive been looking for a 3,500k bulb eveywhere!

I hope to one day be honored enough to see this tank in person! The lane lines on the asphalt add a nice colorful contrast.

NaH2O said:
I hope to one day be honored enough to see this tank in person! The lane lines on the asphalt add a nice colorful contrast.

He got those when they redid the road in front of his house last year. I was honored enuf to carry a couple of pieces down at his BBQ last June.:D
He made me do that before I could eat.

I have to agree with Nikki: the color contrast of the asphalt paint (and Spongebob) are very striking. Also, I can't believe you've designed a sandbed that can never become saturated! Brilliant!

Wow what an awesome tank, not I bet it cost millions & took years to develop such & beautiful reef tank!:D

Oh man!!! Well I have to say I am a bit pissed here. I had been savin the unveiling of this beauty for a special moment.!!:mad:

On the tank. I have spent countless hours trying to keep this puppy on the cutting edge of reef tank keeping. In conjunction with Anthony Calfo and Joe from Joes' paving, I think I have reached the apex!! With the use of asphalt its the ultimate in algae control! nothing lives on it?? As per divercity I do plan on using chaeto so I am covered their!
This tank will be home to my 11 lb salmon, the last tank it was in was getting a little cramped!
fishbowl.jpg

mike

ROFL! That's funny...:lol: Talk about a huge contradiction on your part Mike! What was is...3 small fish to 90 gallons? And there you have a fish with a broken spine to shove it all in a mouthful of water:lol:

mojoreef said:
Oh man!!! Well I have to say I am a bit pissed here. I had been savin the unveiling of this beauty for a special moment.!!:mad:

On the tank. I have spent countless hours trying to keep this puppy on the cutting edge of reef tank keeping. In conjunction with Anthony Calfo and Joe from Joes' paving, I think I have reached the apex!! With the use of asphalt its the ultimate in algae control! nothing lives on it?? As per divercity I do plan on using chaeto so I am covered their!
This tank will be home to my 11 lb salmon, the last tank it was in was getting a little cramped!
fishbowl.jpg

mike

A man with a true heart!!!! Cudos to ya!

Good to see that you will have some macro in their also. I was thinking something like Kentucky blue grass!

to fuuny, I think I saw that tank in downtown detroit. Yeah It was In crack house that was raided. To Funny. I like improvised stand as well, I never thought of the floor.:badgrin: :lol:

LMBO!!!! wwouu Mike your tank is one of the most beautiful and colorful tanks i've ever seen :lol:.
Spongebob ?? i knew you couldn't live without me :D :lol: .
I'm glad your tank is looking great dood!!!

mojoreef said:

fishbowl.jpg

mike

Are you planning on adding anymore fish? A nice Naso Tang would be perfect!:lol:

I don't think that I have ever actually laughed out loud when I read a post before this. I love imaginations.

Tim

Based on his posts and what he knowns, I expected a tank like that from him. Now I have proof, a living La Brea Tar Pit. Here is his other creation

elodea_in_jar.jpg

Wow, I am going to totally redo my tank like that!~

Hey, I found out that you can use regular garden slugbait to get rid of nudibranchs, that was a big discovery when I used some rocks from my garden in my tank. Thought I would pass that tip on since they are such a problem for so many people. And you know what REALLY works on aiptasia? Cat pee! The trouble is getting it from a cat. Male cats are better, their pee is stronger. You just toss it in the tank and boom all the aiptasia are gone.

Thanks again for that sandbed idea. Now when my friends who abhor sandbeds come over I can just lift them out before they show up and then put them back for my friends who insist they are absolutely necessary!

Kate

Back