"April 1st" Member Showcase

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Come to think of it, you are correct. I have noticed tho that in warmer climates, this rock grows all year round, must have something else goin on besides property taxes, wouldn't you think????

Charlie...Not only is the Bahamas well known for it's water and reefs, but we've got patches of that
Labrea asfaultinsis with an encrusting yellow P. stripeacornis
that Kevin spoke about in a few places. Doesn't hold up too well with the heat and eventually bleaches to a light gray during the summer months. Nevertheless, it is some pretty strong stuff! I even heard that it could hold the weight of many cars and trucks on it!! I mean, you need jack hammers to get through it if ever you want to hide asny plumbing under it and is only made possible by departments of road works!

Finally!!! I finally received the sandbed MikeS shipped me from long ago. Mojo that creature you were looking for is on its way.....it appears to be a great detrivore, and you can train it to waste outside the tank :D

Creature+exBLagoon.jpg

NaH2O said:
Finally!!! I finally received the sandbed MikeS shipped me from long ago. Mojo that creature you were looking for is on its way.....it appears to be a great detrivore, and you can train it to waste outside the tank :D

:lol: Wow, he sure has grown!...those couple of months fermenting away in ground shipping did wonders for him! He should do an excellent job keeping your tank detritus free, Nikki, just keep the kid and pets away from the tank, we don't want any accidents, now do we?:lol:

MikeS

BTW, Nikki, did ya get any of these? I'm sure I saw a few of them swimming around in there when I boxed up the sandbed for ya...just curious if they made it or not...

MikeS

I wasn't supposed to say anything about this and I know Mojo is going to get mad at me for it, but anyways...Here is his secret weapon for exporting nutrients... It's a Dung Beetle! A special species though...This guy is has been genetically altered by Mojo and he's water proof. See what the fellow rounded up in 5 minutes! I nice ball of POOP! and is even rolling the thing out and will fling in out of the tank! That's one smart little stinker if I ever saw one! BTW...Don't eat spaghetti and meat balls by Mojo's house! The smell may be on your breath longer than you think!:p

Last edited:
Nikki, I can't see the picture :( .... I can't laugh !! :( .
MikeS ..... dood can you send me one of those .... please !!!
Krish... that's an awesome Beetle to have !!! did he tell you what kind of experiment he did? :lol: .
thanks for the tip on Mojo's meatballs .... no wonder they always let my breath stinking for the whole rest of the day :D .

Everyone laughs at the asphalt roadrock, but I think its the newest thing in reefing. It readily absorbs nitrates and other nutrients from the water which collect on the oil used in the making of the asphalt. As the oil globules are slowly released over time they rise to the surface of the tank where they are easily collected with some oil absorbent cloth...and no skimmers.

Oh and I have several tons of it for sale at only $1.50 a lb.

Another useful item to get is if you can follow a resurfacing crew around and get some of the asphalt grindings when the grind the road down. It's perfect for a DAB (deep asphalt bed)

Back