aptasia and manjanos

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thank you very much guys. I have a wand tho. I'm just trying to figure out a better way. Like if I can soak the rock in vinegar or something. To Kill the ones I can't see. Make it 100% pest free.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using Tapatalk 2

I'm testing a diluted mixer of Muriatic Acid with RO/DI with a syringe needle with .2ml injected into the pest. Side effects lowering of Ph but only if you use a large amount to quickly. I haven't had the this issue yet and I had a 100% kill so far. This stuff is dangerous and there are needed precautions to be taken and understand of the Acid to ensure success. Some will post that's its crazy (and it can be) for using it but with understanding and patients there is balance without fear.
Just one of many possible direction that can be used.

Yeah that stuff sounds pretty intense. I'm doing a tank swap and I have a huge rock I want to transfer. I see no pests on it but I'm scared there may be a little one hiding or something. So I want to soak it for a day or two. Then let it cure with the other new rock

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

If you want to completely nuke the rock. Make it totally free of EVERYTHING, including bacteria, I'd ( and I have) put all the rock in a bleach solution of a couple cups of bleach to 5 gallons of water, overnight. Drain it wash it down with a garden hose, then soak it in a strong solution of dechorinator and water. Say 10 times the recommended doseage. Then to help remove and left over pests that survived the bleach, do a soak in weak muratic acid bath. This will also help remove phosphate from the rock. As mentioned, don't leave it in this solution very long. It will disolve the rock.

I sure should have come up with a better design and patented it before that mojano wand was created and marketed. :(

I'm also been in a long drawn out battle with aptasia and have been trying to find a natural predator. I've tried peppermints and berghia's to no avail. The file fish sounds interesting but I've heard that they nip on corals. Have you guys found that to be the case?

I haven't seen any problem with my softies or lps.
A occasional nip usually isn't a problem, it's when a fish goes back time after time to the same coral, then it becomes a problem.

I remember reading a thread on reef central about a guy using one in a zoanthid dominated tank and had a problem with the file fish taking out some zoanthids, but that was long after all the aptasias and majanos were gone.

Sometimes it's a gamble with fish. Depends on how desparate you get.

Mine did nip at my corals. Very little though. And like Mr. Finn said, it wasnt until the majonos were gone. Imo, the file fish is worth it. If i ever get an outbreak again, ill be getting another file fish.

I'm also been in a long drawn out battle with aptasia and have been trying to find a natural predator. I've tried peppermints and berghia's to no avail. The file fish sounds interesting but I've heard that they nip on corals. Have you guys found that to be the case?

I have had good luck with Peppermints. You can't just get one, you need to get like 5 of them and they travel around in a little group eatting them. If you have one or 2 they seem to just sit in place swaying in the current.

Back