Aptasia eating fish!! File Fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Shane and John

father and son
This has been a success for me so i thought i would post about it..We had a rabbitt fish that kept out tank very clean,untill he got a taste for corals..then he was out!!lol..Then we slowly had an outbreak of Aptasia.No matter how much Kalk past i used,I could never keep up...tried peppermint shrimp..Not to work for us...John was scanning the internet,doing what he does,,and stumbled on what was claimed to be an aptasia eater....A File Fish...So we researched and decided to give it a shot.....The Guys out at Aquarium Paradise ordered us one in....It has been over a month now..We are basically aptasia free....I have monitered and see no issues with Him and any other fish.Hes real mellow,and had not touched any of our corals...Best of all....He will also eat at feeding time with the other fish...So when he devistates the whole aptasia population,he can still be cared for...Unlike the Nudibracks..(spelling) our research said smallest tank size of 30 gallons,So not sure of nanos.....Maybe this can help someone else out....Thanks for reading..Shane

P.S...Thanks Aquarium Paradise for all the help....and they do have another one available...we got ours for 30$!!

What kind of file fish? I know that some eat SPS almost exclusively. There was an article in Coral magazine about the longnose variety a few months ago.

i just got the fish gotta say it looks really really cool in my tank!!!! looks like it doesnt belong in a reef lol heres a pic

2009-10-03_153603.jpg

Well I just wanted to share what has worked for me so far..I will still continue to moniter my corals.Hope it works for others as well...Shane

Does anyone who's actually had success with File Fish, know the scientific name of the file fish they have? So many filefish look similar, and have similar names. For instance, there at least 3 file fish known as "Aiptasia eating filefish,) with some not so reef safe. There's also 2 or 3 species that share the name Tassled or Green Filefish.

Does this name sound familiar? Acreichthys tomentosus

Also, what corals do you have? As far as "reef safe," some filefish eat nothing but SPS, some will nip on only LPS, others, Zoanthids. So, if used successfully against aiptasia, and have not bothered any corals, can you also list the corals you have?

I'm wondering if zoanthids have a chance of surviving. I've tried a couple different butterfly fish that did eat aptasias and majono's, but also liked the zoanthid/palythoas.

I'll be watching for further updates on this one.

Ok...He has been in my tank for month with no problems...I actually do Not know the scientific name which could be an issue... As for a list of some of my livestock..I will list ... 1 4" dersa clam
some soft corals,Leathers..shrooms,pally's ,and pollips(green and purple star)
lps...Frogspawn and hammer..Trumpet and Bubble corals
Many different colors of Zoo's placed all over the tank
Acans and many different colors of Rics

Rbta and a spawning Pair of clowns with eggs as we speak

As far as SPS..i have none,dont care for them so i cant speak for those...Hope this list helps...Like i said....i am still carefully watching myself..But thought after a month,i would go ahead and share my experiances...when doing our research,we thought it might be risky as well...but we tried it out anyway...Has worked for us so far...(keeping fingers crossed) Thanks...Shane

Ive had mine for a day woke up today and found my fire fish on the carpet. Maybe the file fish scared it :( The aiptasia I notcied before I but the file fish in have dissapeared :) Seems to be doing its job. My coral list alot alot of sps,torch, frog spawn ,hammer,acans, ricordias and zoas nothings been harmed yet hopefully never lol

heres a pic with actinics on

DSC00361.jpg

I'm in the same boat Finn. I'm trying to figure out how Zoanthid and Clam safe, these fish that eat Aiptasia are.

I'm debating about trying a Copper Banded Butterfly, but am really concerned about the Zoanthids.

I love the Copper Banded Butterfly, but I'd never consider adding one in a tank with any of my expensive zoanthids.

But this file fish sounds intriguing.

Back