Aptasia

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Xtremedave67

as a newbie to the reefing community...I bought some live Rock that had quite afew hitchikers on it.....at the time I was unaware of what they were but hey they looked cool :)
So after doing much research as I do so well when entering a new hobby. I found out these little guys are not welcome residence in the tank. discovered that to get rid of them. I can inject them individually with lemon juice.
Also heard that peppermint shrimp will eat them ( MAYBE).
I suppose I got lucky....I bought 2 peppermint shrimp and a day later no Aptasia is visible :)
in some discussions with other folks, I guess I was very lucky to get these shrimp that actually feasted on the pests :)

I've read that there are two types of peppermint shrimp, one will eat them the other will not. I can't remember how to tell them apart.

The second type of Peppermint Shrimp aren't actually Peppermint Shrimp, they're actually Camel Shrimp (Rhynchocinetes durbanensis). They won't eat Aiptasia and aren't as reef safe as Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni). They are confused a lot.

Peppermint Shrimp are definitely "hit and miss," when it comes to eating Aiptasia. Lemon juice is also not very effective. If you're going to inject them, Kalk Paste is much more effective. Products such as Joe's Juice and Aiptasia X are also pretty effective.

Hmmmm an idea make the Shrimp earn thier keep LOL....I do have to ask....with reef tanks how in heck do you catch fish should you need to quarantine or remove?

unlike fresh you remove the fake scaping LOL

Hmmmm an idea make the Shrimp earn thier keep LOL....I do have to ask....with reef tanks how in heck do you catch fish should you need to quarantine or remove?

unlike fresh you remove the fake scaping LOL

Unfortunately, this usually requires tearing the entire tank apart!! There are fish traps that will work with a lot of types of fish. There's also a lot of people who will catch larger fish with barbless hooks.

Next time you are over I will show you my fishtrap, cut up 2 liter coke bottle, it took 10 minutes to catch the two damsels that were making me crazy.
This is after my son and I chased them around with 4 nets, tried the after dark thing, considered dynamite...
As Sid notes, not all critters are that easy...

another cheap remidy for killing aptaisia and mojanos is pickling lime. pick it up at walmart. make it in to a paste and feed them with it. works everytime.

Back