Aquacontroller 3 Temp. Probe question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reeftank1

Do you digiscope?
I have a newer temp. probe that has decided to get a mind of it's own. It has been registering fine for several months and over the last day is changes from current temp and then runs up to 95 and then to 115 and it is all over the board .

Can the probe be shot after such a sort time?

Of course, it is a critical piece of my system and Neptune is closed.

Is there a way to confirm that it is the probe and not the AC3?

Thanks in advance and I have read that there have been some bad batches so I hope I am eligible for a new one if this is the problem.

thanks.

Temp probes can and do go bad. I had one on my medusa die. Perhaps a broken wire that can be twisted around to fix? Either way, time to get a new one as that is a highly critical item. If it changes direction and reads too low stabily, could cook your tank. Part is probably covered under warrantee

thanks Mike. I don't run a chiller or heater so hopefully things will be okay until I get ahold of the Neptune guys. I will have to look at the plug too. So far, I will have to run manual lights.

I agree that it is probably a bad connection somewhere !! Time for a new one !!

I have noticed the Extension cord's neptune sell's for a Temperature probe are worthless or nearly worthless.

Mine lasted three months or so and then if it EVER got moved, it became disconnected internally and not make good contact.

It would not even stay together at one point--- In the trash now!!

:)

Paul

Wow. I have not moved it but since I have been playing with it I could have made it worse. I will test it tonight and see if I get a steady temp. with it unplugged and then double check the plug wire. Sure is a bummer if it is a bad design. I thought these things were pretty standard and for the bucks it should last beyond the 90 days they advertise for repair. I may be jumping to soon but I will at least give Neptune a chance to help me if this doesn't work. thanks for now.

What your seeing is all to common with the AC temp probes and one of the reasons the warranty is so short and the price is so little.

Don

So, based on my call to Neptune they say that after the probe is disconnected from the AC 3 it should trend down to around 20 degrees F. It does and this confirms what all have suggested and so they want me to send it back. They told me they "never have problems with the temperature probes". Sure seems a bit of a stretch based on the warranty, and the problems others have had.

Hope this will help others when their temp. probes fail after the 90 day period and may be a good idea to buy another 3-4 probes a year but at least they should replace the first one.

They told me they "never have problems with the temperature probes". Sure seems a bit of a stretch based on the warranty, and the problems others have had.

:lol::lol::lol: They should read their own forums.

Don

I don't think thell go bad that often--- I was warning/telling you NOT to buy there "EXTENSION CORD"----For the Temperatue probe.

I only wanted it to be a few feet further away---instead I got one lousy Extension cord for the Temperature probe!!

My current one has been in place for almolst 3 years.

So you should be in good shape with a new one--Really :)

Paul

They just came out with a new probe design that is supposed to be better and deal with the many failure complaints. Its really just the same sensor design in a bigger better sealed package.

Don

i have a few of the little life temp (i think there called little something)

i use 3 of them to double check..... the probe does walk off temp from time to time (6 months maybe 1 degree) so i use all 3 of the little ones to double check...

very happy so far

I have to say that I received 2 probes today and Neptune did rush them. They are of a different design and mainly the probe body is about twice as long. I spoke with them and bought a new one and at the same time had them send me a replacement. It appears that everything is back to normal and so I have a back-up ready. Thanks.

Burning - I have one back-up too that I use to cross-check. It sucks to manually run all my equipment and makes me wonder if less is better anyway.

but you cant trust the little temp ones... i have 2 in my sump one in the srg's tank and one in the RODI tank

they all (for the most part) are with in .5 degree but i had one on the self yesterday i used that was 1.8degree higher then the rest... so

but on the probe thing.... i think i will invest in a replacement for the reef keeper 2

if/did the probe go outta wack like real far and real quick

or did it walk its way off slowly?

So how is the new probe holding up?

I just went in and my AC3 is showing my tank is 122 degrees:eek: It was 78.8 just a couple of hours ago. What a pain having to pull stuff off of the DC8. I had mine programmed to shut down the lights if too hot (but I should be OK there now, usually a summer problem) and also turn on/off heaters and fans, so at 122 degrees all fans running strong and no heaters, probably OK till the MH shut off then it will probably cool too much!

Back