Aquarium Obsessed 2000 Gallon System finally underway...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

AquariumObsesse said:
PUMPS...Im gonna go with the sequence 1000's. What do you recommend for the sump return pump and how many and which pumps for closed loop?

thanks

For return, I would use a single SEEQ5800 (1000 series) or even a barracuda wide open. That would turn over the tank through the sump about 4-5 times/hr, which is more than plenty. I would try my hardest to incorporate the chiller into a close loop for maximum efficiency of cooling.

The seq 1000 series would be my choice. If the outlets are appropriately placed, you could probably run 5 of them. Word of wisdon and regreat: make all your bulkheads 3" if at all possible.

Is this tank going to be viewable from which sides? It makes a huge difference for close loops.

Tank will be viewable from the front and 50" of 1 side.

I like the sequesnce 1000's. Just trying to determine # of pumps and hole placement.

Any suggestions?

BTW- If I go with 3" bulkheads for pump feed...who sells a diamond hole saw that size? For a 3" Schedule 80 Bhead it needs a 4.5" hole!! Ive only ever needed to go 2". Where did you get yours?

thanks

That will be one heck of a project. Do you SCUBA dive? If you do you won't have to worry about those unsightly Mag Scrapers.

I am still thinking 4-5 pumps for close loops alone or a bunch of tunze streams 6200, which I know you don't like.

I can't help you with the hole issue. I am mentioning this only. My tank has 2" bulkheads. If I was to start all over again given my design and close loop configutation, I would have either had more 2" holes for intakes or have 3" holes if possible.

I think that will be enough circulation for a sump return but CL, I'd consider, two or three, maybe four individual loops, with big plumbing, don't hold back on the pipe work, you can easily plumb 3" PVC loops and several outlets on a nice header system on each loop. You want massive pumps, don't be afraid to get their large scaled pumps with the salt water seals, I'd back away from the reef flows on a project this size, you want motors with high torque, moving large volumes of water, you can determine the outlet pressure by the header. These pumps are proven through years of performance, the reeflows are modified and designed for aquariums which has benefits but take a close look at the power curves before you make a purchase. OK just some thoughts, I'm not the flow expert but I do at times deal with Large industrial pumps running 480vac three phase, or more at times, not for aquariums though, well not yet lol! I do have a 2" CL on a 900gph pump with two 3/4" outlets, hey that works great, so bigger pipe can be designed to move big water.

You can easily make up for the PVC size with more holes, just make sure you are as large or larger than any given input or output on the pump, so 2 2" inlets would almost equal 4" suction lol!

Cool...

I just dont want to have the problems Alberto had with the sequences. Im scared 5 of the 1000's will boil my tank!

Im running a sequence 5800 or 5000 on my MRC-6' commercial 5000 gallon rated quad injector skimmer. with that in mind do you think a Seq 5800 is good for sump turnover? I know the push lately has been less throught the sump and more CL. Dont want tooooooo many bubbles in the sump.

I would worry more about your lighting for heat issues, one thing you can do is install a thermal fan directly on each lamp, then more fans or your AC system sucking that air away from all of these, & add the chiller Alberto was talking about. The pumps shouldn't add any considerable heat but in total I'd still say it shouldn't be that much in comparison. As far as your skimmer question I don't know, are you saying one pump for your skimmer & another for the circulation, I think that is about what was mentioned if you intend for both I don't know, it would work but probably not enough if you will have another header system supplying other equipment like reactors etc. Alberto & Mike are the Reef aquarium Experts:d

AquariumObsesse said:
Cool...

I just dont want to have the problems Alberto had with the sequences. Im scared 5 of the 1000's will boil my tank!

Heat with these pumps is not an issue. The heat issues I had originally were with the valueflo pumps, which have been replaced and that solved tha tissue right there. The other problems I ahve had with my pumps have to do with the piece of crap plastic wet end sequence decided to use in their reefflo line. The problem is those plastic volutes get hair line cracks from just looking at them, so you get millions of micro bubbles and also tons of leaks everywhere. They were extremely good about sending me the better wet ends, which are virtually the same used in the 100 series pumps and that have solved the issue. I just swapped out 3 of my pumps today and will do the other 2 tomorrow. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

AquariumObsesse said:
Im running a sequence 5800 or 5000 on my MRC-6' commercial 5000 gallon rated quad injector skimmer. with that in mind do you think a Seq 5800 is good for sump turnover? I know the push lately has been less throught the sump and more CL. Dont want tooooooo many bubbles in the sump.

The idea of not running 10,000 gph through your sump is merely efficiency. If you have your heaters in the sump and you are trying to heat the water as it passes through it with high velocity and little contact time, you are going to be using a ton of electricity for the same result. Same with chilling, skimmer time, etc. I have a 1000g system and my return is an iwaki 100 wide open, so about 2100 gph or so. I will be replacing that pump with another sequence hammerhead doubling at least my sump turnover rate. Eventually, my current skimmer (aerofoamer 848 with iwaki 100) will be replaced and so I will be getting rid of the iwaki 100 there too. Those 2 pumps put out a ton of heat.

I still think that 5 sequence hammerhead or 5800 would be a good number for your close loop given the dimensions. Your tank is very wide and you loose a lot of the flow with so much open water. You don't want powerfull jets, but rather large turn over. 2x2" bulkheads per pump should be mroe than plenty to feed the pumps properly and to decrease the suction power out of the bulkheads. You'd be amazed how a big fish can get sucked in and killed by the suction of 5000 gph through a bulkhead :eek: :eek:

Thanks for your replies guys!

Alberto your knowledge and experience are invaluable. I have built many large tanks and had many of my own. BUT....Obviously have never had such a large system so I am trying to be sure I get things right.

I want to have returns coming up from the bottom of the tank, through the side and back and of course down through the euro bracing. I am thinking 1" return lines would be a good size. I will take your advice on the spraybar and will have to devise another way to keep the bottom at the back of the tank clear of detritus etc. 5 sequence pumps @ 5800 gives me about 29,000 GPH less head/friction loss. So approx 20 x turnover rate...that will be awesome. I definetely want alot of flow as I am a huge Acro fan.

Im still trying to decide on which sequence 1000's to go with...

5800 = $400 and 396 watts
5000 = $375 and 333 watts
4200 = $330 and 253 watts
Hammerhead = $279 and 396 watts

Want the best combo for the $$$ and electricity usagem Many friends say go with lots of darts only 168 watts of electricity and 3200 GPH.

Anyone with thoughts please feel free to post

thanks!

AquariumObsesse said:
I want to have returns coming up from the bottom of the tank, through the side and back and of course down through the euro bracing. I am thinking 1" return lines would be a good size. I will take your advice on the spraybar and will have to devise another way to keep the bottom at the back of the tank clear of detritus etc. 5 sequence pumps @ 5800 gives me about 29,000 GPH less head/friction loss. So approx 20 x turnover rate...that will be awesome. I definetely want alot of flow as I am a huge Acro fan.

Im still trying to decide on which sequence 1000's to go with...

5800 = $400 and 396 watts
5000 = $375 and 333 watts
4200 = $330 and 253 watts
Hammerhead = $279 and 396 watts

Want the best combo for the $$$ and electricity usagem Many friends say go with lots of darts only 168 watts of electricity and 3200 GPH.

Anyone with thoughts please feel free to post

thanks!

Going with twice as many Dart is not a bad option here either. The only issue will be the extremely large amount of holes you are going to have in that tank. Given your tank's size, it may be a concern when it comes to strength of the glass. That is your expertise, so I'll leave that up to you. I would still go with the Hammerheads. They have the same exact motor as the 1000 series 5800 and now with the new black wet end the minor problems people like me was having are over. At least I hope.

As far as the outlet locations, I would highly discourage you from drilling the tank more than 3-4 times on the bottom. The reason is that if, and you will, you ever have to mess with the buikhead or the plumbing, you ahve an entire tank full of water right above it and the lowest point is that very same bulkhead at the bottom. If you drill on the side instead you can always drain the tank to that level but not necessarily completely. As if that is even realistic with something this big :lol: :lol: You can always runt he plumbing inside the tank and under the rocks to come out where you want.

I would also highly encourage you to upsize the intake and outlet of every pump by at least 0.5"-1". So if the pump intake and outlet is 1.5", I would do the entire thing in 2" pipe at least and use the reducer right at the intake and outlet. Then, use a reducer at the end to go to the ultimate size you want. It will cut a lot of resistance.

So go all hammerheads? Hmmm that will definetely save some cash...Maybe I will just go with 1 x 5800 for the skimmer as it needs a high pressure rated pump.

Good point with the bulkheads in the bottom of the tank...heaven forbid one ever started LEAKING :(

Refugium:

What size refugium do you guys feel is necessary on this beast to make it worthwhile?

The hammerhead is exactly the same as the 5800. Same Baldor 1/3 HP motor, same dimensions wet end,same diameter intake and out port. Same pump!

I am biased against refugiums, so I can't help you there. Maybe someone else can.

:) Nice to see the project underway. I see you went with the Lifebreath. Hope our discussions on the topic helped. :) I guess its not the commercial unit with the de-humidifier, although the ductless AC unit should take care of the summer problems.

AquariumObsesse said:
I dont mind against opinions... :)

Why dont you like them?

Refugiums to me are bandaids that produce more work than benefits. If you design your system from the begining right, you don't "need" them. Most people's systems are an evolution of what was there originally, so they try to add on things as they go along to compensate for something else. That is how I see a refugium. If you have a clean system with plenty of LR you don't have a nitrates or extra nutrient issues. Refugiums require that you trim the macro but also that you remove all the detritus they also make by having small parts of macroalgae decay. Unless you do it frequently and keep them clean, you are defeating the purpose. That is a lot of work that in my book doesn't offset the benefits. People also talk about all the pods and such. If you ahve any LR in your tank, you have more than plenty of pods. A tank lin your size should be able to support 4-5 pairs of mandarin fish easily.

There was a thread here about refugiums not to long ago. Look it up and read through it. It has some very nice and interesting info. If despite it all you are ging to have one, I suggest you make one out of glass sort of like a standard 180g tank so you can see everything in it and be able to manage it better.

I keep coming back to the too much work line, but with something this big the last thing anyone needs is the daily 2 hours of labor. This is a hobby and should be fun, not work. If it becomes work, you'll be having some posts pretty soon about some equipment for sale :D :D

Back