are clowns safe hosting my Trachyphyllia geoffroy?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I put a pair of Ocellaris Clowns in my 30 g nano about a month ago and they immediately started hosting my open brain. They have grown and seem very healthy and happy.
I just read somewhere that it could be bad for clowns to host corals (but can't remember where I saw it).
Is this true?

Typically, Clown fish will be just fine when hosting most corals. The problem usually is when the clown fish irritate the coral, especially LPS, to the point where it harms the coral, or the coral closes up so much that it doesn't get any nutrients.

What you read about was probably Hyper-Melaninization, which can sometimes occur from Clown fish hosting corals, usually LPS, that are able to kind of sting the clown fish. If this occurs, you'll start noticing black spots and splotches, on your clown fish. Do some research into Hyper-Melaninization, to learn more about this.

The only concern for the coral is as returnofsid outlined. On the fish side, the fish can be harmed by stinging cells the fish has not developed a tolerance to. The effect is Melaninization and in the extreme, Hyper-Melaninization. If it reaches the hyper stage, the fish needs to be separated from the harming marine life form.

More on the hyper part can be found here: http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43419

;)

Thanks for the info gentlemen.
I read your post Lee and as usual it was excellent.
I was way more worried about the clowns than the coral but everyone seems to be very happy right now.

I'm curious as to why so many people say "the clown is hosting.....", when in fact, the clown is the "hosted" and whatever it is in, as in anemone for instance, is the host.
In that case, the anemone is hosting the clownfish.

I'm curious as to why so many people say "the clown is hosting.....", when in fact, the clown is the "hosted" and whatever it is in, as in anemone for instance, is the host.
In that case, the anemone is hosting the clownfish.

I think that's a good point.
So all you experts out there, are we saying it right?
I've always heard that "clowns are hosting".
Is there a better way to say it???

My male clown invited himself into being hosted by one of my open brain corals and it didn’t hurt the clown any, but the coral started getting brown spots and eventually started STN. I removed it from the tank, but it was too late for the coral. It tissue is continuing to recede. Keep an eye on your coral too.

Not to ruin everyones day...but EVERYONE is wrong:) Well not typically in a aquarium but in the ocean ya'll are. It's a symbiotic relationship...his is hers...mine is yours. There isn't a 'host.' The anemone keeps the fish clear from predators and visaversa... but in the aquarium there shouldn't be any 'anemone predators' so... I guess the host issue is up for debate there...did ya'll not watch finding nemo?:) But really how could a fish ...that can move anywhere host a more or less immobile anemone? It's a fun argument but...why?

Last edited:
clowns are gonna piss off corals, when they host on them. on mushrooms and leathers, it's not so bad, and they may actually continue to grow. Brains and the like will probably begin to receed if the clowns are always pestering them.

Back