ASM G2 a good skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dmbfreek

I should've listened to skimerwhisperer while I was in the market for a remora pro, very poor skimmer.
I picked up an ASM G2 w/Sedra needle wheel pump used for $75
Anyone have any experience with these? Just wondering if I got ripped.
Thanks!
salt383.jpg

salt384.jpg

I used that skimmer before and i had no problem with it,Just a euroreef knock-off but worked ok for my tank.

asm skimmers are not bad skimmers, however they are made really cheap.
For the price you paid, you got a good deal.
You should do the recirc mod on it.

mesh mod the impellar, and put the durso standpipe/gate valve mod on the outlet, and remove the elbow from the pump outlet and put the pump directly into the skimmer body. much, much better that way.
and yes, any aqua c skimmer is a POS in my opinion, all of them....

remove the elbow from the pump outlet and put the pump directly into the skimmer body. much, much better that way..

scince the plastic body has the strength of uncooked pasta, i wouldnt bother doing the recirc mod, you can get better performance from the other mods anyway...
12-24-2007 07:11 AM

So you recomend it?

i would say $75 is a pretty decent price, depends on the state of the pump of course, but anyway can't be much cheaper than that.
also don't forget the pump is very important for your aquarium so it's worth investing in.
Ritchie

Mark, you say to put the pump itself inside the skimmer chamber?????? can i do this with my Octopus 200NW???? will the chamber be strong enough for this? will the pump even fit in the chamber???

Mark, you say to put the pump itself inside the skimmer chamber?????? can i do this with my Octopus 200NW???? will the chamber be strong enough for this? will the pump even fit in the chamber???

I believe he meant turning it into a recirculating skimmer.
Drilling a hole into the body, where the suction side would intersect. Using a uniseal. Then you would have to drill a hole (up high) for a feed pump inlet, something like a small maxi-jet.

My asm g4 was modded into a recirc skimmer, not from the factory, but as a aftermarket mod.

You set the pump, so the suction side points directly at the body and drill a hole in the body at that point. You have drill a hole for the right sized uniseal that will match up with the venturi end.

You have to drill another smaller hole to install the fitting that will connect to a small feed pump. I used a maxi-jet 1200.

Wish Mark would check in and confirm, before I make a total idiot out of myself.:lol:

I see what you meant. Do you think that would be better than doing the recirc mod?

Did you use the same pump? How do you keep the intake (suction ) from being restricted from being too close to the floor of the sump?

Back