Attacking Aiptasia

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Damsel13

Well I went out and sprung for the little bottle of Aiptasia Control from my local fish store. Since it is made of the same ingredient, calcium hydroxide, that people use to drip kalkwasser. I am wondering what the effect will be the on my water chemistry?

Thanks for any comments in advance.

No measurable effect on water parameters. I've used that stuff before and it works like a charm. Just turn off all your pumps and don't get it on anything you don't want dead.

If the kalk. doesn’t work try some Peppermint shrimp. I had an outbreak of Aiptasia a few months ago and could barely get rid of the Aiptasia that was visible, let alone the ones hiding behind all the rocks. I put in 3 Peppermints and within a couple days, all were gone from what I could see.
Hope this helps.
Aaron

it took my pepermints three months but they got rid of all but one. Now im trying to get rid of that one with some boiling water since i no longer have the shrimp. lol

The only thing I've found that is a sure cure for Aiptasia are Berghia Nudibraches....

The only problem is if you have predators such as Peppermint shrimp, and some fish, they like to eat the Berghia.....

The Peppermint shrimp sometimes work, as said, kinda hit or miss.... but if you feed your tank, they'd rather eat fish food then Aiptasia.... generally what ever is easiest to eat they go for.....

I know there are 2 kinds of peppermint shrimp. One does eat aiptasia and the other doesn't. I made sure I got the kind that did. I am not sure if it is still surviving in my tank. I haven't seen it since I put it in about a year ago but the aiptasia really only get a hold in my display tank if I am heavily feeding and I am due for a water change. So maybe it is still in there... When I was cleaning the tank the other day I found the shedded shell of the front half of a crab that I am sure was a hitchiker on my last purchase of LR. I have never seen that darn crab either but it ate my Scarlet Hermit Crab :evil: I think.

Back