Attatching frags

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blk822822

It's only money, RIGHT?
Whats the best way to place frags to the live rock. I have the corilline colored epoxy putty now,but don't like the way it stands out in the tank befor some algae covers it. I'm looking for a really clean and natural looking way to place my sps.

Gel based super glue such as BSI IC Gel (my preference) works best for frags there are other brands as well. You don't need to use epoxy unless you are mounting huge coral colonies.

I use the sandwich effect saves on glue (this is my In tank method) were the rock stays in the tank!

epoxy rolled in a little ball
glue on the bottom side of it
have frag ready glue the top side of the epoxt ball
then set in place in the tank hold for 30 secs
and your done

works every time i can get away with 6 frags with small tube of super glue gel doing it this method

out of the tank you can use straight gel glue to attach them

I use the sandwich effect saves on glue (this is my In tank method) were the rock stays in the tank!

epoxy rolled in a little ball
glue on the bottom side of it
have frag ready glue the top side of the epoxt ball
then set in place in the tank hold for 30 secs
and your done

works every time i can get away with 6 frags with small tube of super glue gel doing it this method

out of the tank you can use straight gel glue to attach them

I found this method on another website and tried it recently.....works really well.

One caution with the glue is don't have to use a lot when gluing frags. Key here is you don't want the glue oosing out from under the frag. This will in my experience not allow the coral to grow out onto the plug or rock.

yeah it is easy they way I do it only pain is getting all the epoxy off your hands lol but a little dap of glue will go along way I say small ball so you do not have a big glob of stuff and a frag sitting 2 inches from a rock. over time it will encrust first with coraline then with what ever you place on it....

I am going to have to try and do the epoxy again the way you mentioned lvsuckerfish. I had used epoxy before but nothing ever grew onto it other than my GSP.

Cheers,
Alex

Super glue (gel) from the dollar store works wonders, and you get 4 tubes in a pack for the price of 1 standard name brand tube - all for $1

Super Glue Gel works under water to seat?

Yep, very well. As it touches the water, it creates a "shell" around itself, with the inside of that "shell," still wet glue. When you place the coral, give it a lil' twist, to break that shell. Hold it in place for a few seconds, longer if it's a larger frag or in heavy flow, and you're good to go! Sometimes, it works better to give the frag a twist, and then kind of pull it away, set it back in the same spot and give it another twist, then hold.

Super Glue Gel works under water to seat?

if works (and that's how i usually do it), but i won't say well. if i can pull the rock out of the tank and glue the frag to it out of the tank (exposed to air), it secures much quicker and stronger than when i do it underwater. Just from my personal experience.

If you do not have the option to pull the rock out, just pray your frag will encrust on the rock before it gets knocked off.

-

If you do not have the option to pull the rock out, just pray your frag will encrust on the rock before it gets knocked off.

-
Yes, and it really helps if you don't have any :evil:Bulldozers.. I mean large snails cruising around in there testing your handywork.

Todd

If you are really good, can glue a frag underwater with just a few drops and do it one-handed. Learned trick from Paul H. aka Fragman.

Dab dry the frag bottom with a towel and put a few drops on it. While holding with thumb and index finger, add some glue to another finger. Rub the glue onto the rock and instantly twist the bottom of the frag onto that spot and hold. When you get good enough, a tube of IC gel will last a long time.

If you are really good, can glue a frag underwater with just a few drops and do it one-handed. Learned trick from Paul H. aka Fragman.

Dab dry the frag bottom with a towel and put a few drops on it. While holding with thumb and index finger, add some glue to another finger. Rub the glue onto the rock and instantly twist the bottom of the frag onto that spot and hold. When you get good enough, a tube of IC gel will last a long time.

how do you then get the glue off of your fingers?? lol...I have been trying this and I apparently SUCK at it...lol...If I do happen to get it to stick it never fails a "bulldozer" as you say comes along and knocks it off within a couple of days...I am particularly challenged with Monti...my first frags of that and they are yet to stick anywhere...any ideas :)
Thanks!!

As to how to keep glue off fingers, get a pair of disposable vinyl or latex gloves and tear off one finger at a time to cover glue finger. One pair gives 10 finger cots.

As to quality of gluing, practice practice paractice...

Dont mean to steal your thread but ..i have been reading up on fragging zoas to acrylic rod...any buddy have exp. with that? its a good way to frag one polyp to a plug and have multiple plugs close together

Back