Auto Top Off Delay?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well thats nice. Probably going to be the blue one. Jp2 goes in one shot mode. Jp3 in begin mode.
The relay is going to turn on when your jbj sends power to the pump. When the time expires it turns off the relay giving power to the pump. When the jbj turns off it turns the pump off.
Make sure the jbj is powering the board and pump.
Make Sense?

Don

If I put JP3 in Begin mode, the pump comes on as soon as the power is on and only stays on for the set amount of time. Do I have one of my wires crossed?

Do I need to worry about the jumper settings on the Trigger polarity and Trigger Mode settings?

Maybe I have this all plugged in wrong. I have the wall wart plugged into the wall receptacle and then have the pump's plug which is attached to the ELK plugged into the JBJ's pump plug in. It seems to be doing what I want it to.

Sorry I'm so hard to explain things too. :confused:

Vicki

If I put JP3 in Begin mode, the pump comes on as soon as the power is on and only stays on for the set amount of time. Do I have one of my wires crossed?

Do I need to worry about the jumper settings on the Trigger polarity and Trigger Mode settings?

Maybe I have this all plugged in wrong. I have the wall wart plugged into the wall receptacle and then have the pump's plug which is attached to the ELK plugged into the JBJ's pump plug in. It seems to be doing what I want it to.

Sorry I'm so hard to explain things too. :confused:

Vicki

Plug the pump and the wallwart into the jbj.
Since your not using a trigger the wart getting power becomes the trigger. Make sure your on the nc side of the relay.
Dont worry about trigger polarity this is what you would use for a float switch.

Make sense?

I'll be out for awhile. If you dont get it send me a pm. It will go straight to my pda.

Don

Plug the pump and the wallwart into the jbj.
Since your not using a trigger the wart getting power becomes the trigger. Make sure your on the nc side of the relay.
Dont worry about trigger polarity this is what you would use for a float switch.

Make sense?

Oh Don.....

Do I just use an adapter to give me three plug-ins and plug that into the jbj so I can plug in both the wart and pump?

I don't understand what you mean about being on the nc side of the relay. I don't have anything connected into the nc hole.

Vicki

Oh Don.....

Do I just use an adapter to give me three plug-ins and plug that into the jbj so I can plug in both the wart and pump?

I don't understand what you mean about being on the nc side of the relay. I don't have anything connected into the nc hole.

Vicki

Yes a three way adapter. Look at the elk. The connections for the pump cord. There are three connection common NO and NC. The hot side goes to the Com, the pump side goes to the NC. Let me know if you need a diagram.

Don

Last edited:
Yes a three way adapter. Look at the elk. The connections for the pump cord. There are three connection common NO and NC. The hot side goes to the Com, the pump side goes to the NC. Let me know if you need a diagram.

Don

I can't get any of the 3 way adapters I have to fit into the jbj since the float connections are on one side and the electrical cord on the other. I'd imagine Lowes or Home Depot might have one with the plug in on the side. The pump even has a three prong plug! I still don't understand why it won't work if the wall wart is just plugged in to the wall plug. Could I just plug in a 6 outlet surge supressor into the jbb instead?

I wired the ELK according to the picture in your other thread:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=222227&postcount=7 which looks like Com and NO.

I'll wire it to the Com and nc and see how that works.

Thanks again!
Vicki

I can't get any of the 3 way adapters I have to fit into the jbj since the float connections are on one side and the electrical cord on the other. I'd imagine Lowes or Home Depot might have one with the plug in on the side. The pump even has a three prong plug! I still don't understand why it won't work if the wall wart is just plugged in to the wall plug. Could I just plug in a 6 outlet surge supressor into the jbb instead?

I wired the ELK according to the picture in your other thread:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=222227&postcount=7 which looks like Com and NO.

I'll wire it to the Com and nc and see how that works.

Thanks again!
Vicki

The wall wart is the trigger. When the jbj turns on it provides power to the elk, the timer starts and the relay goes to the no position. When the time runs out the relay goes to the nc position allowing power from the jbj to pass to the pump. When the sump is full the jbj turns off the pump and the process starts over.

Yes you could use a power strip but even better would be a cheap extension cord or hardwiring it all into a plastic box so that you only have one cord.

Don

The wall wart is the trigger. When the jbj turns on it provides power to the elk, the timer starts and the relay goes to the no position. When the time runs out the relay goes to the nc position allowing power from the jbj to pass to the pump. When the sump is full the jbj turns off the pump and the process starts over.

Yes you could use a power strip but even better would be a cheap extension cord or hardwiring it all into a plastic box so that you only have one cord.

Don

Okay, got everything working GREAT! The extension cord was the easiest way to go too. Now I can rest easy knowing my sump won't overflow when the power goes out and comes back on several times. What a neat DIY project, through, someone should patent this and make the 'gizmo' available at Lowes!

Thanks so much Don. You're a life saver!

Vicki

They makes these already in a package, just depends on who makes them. I recently set-up a timer based ATO & timer on the pump protection, slightly modified the one I purchased & love it:D

They makes these already in a package, just depends on who makes them. I recently set-up a timer based ATO & timer on the pump protection, slightly modified the one I purchased & love it:D

Who puts a adjustable delay before the relay activation? :)

Don

PB for the top off, I can't remember what was used for the pump protection circuit, it was solid state.

Back