Auto Top-off System

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Short and sweet. That set-up is just plain dangerous!! Use a relay if you intend to build your own.

Don

i would solder my connections and use shrink tubing. are there any good cheap ones?

You miss the point. Putting 110vac through a float switch is dangerous. You need to use a relay and low voltage.

Don

OK, Don is on target when telling you not to put anything other than low voltage (12-24v) through a float switch. There are a variety of premade, DYI, and half-n-half systems out there that achieve it, while giving the safety and redundancy for safely running a reef tank. I would suggest you check out http://www.reefwerks.com/ for the ATO offered there. This happens to be DonW's operation :)

That set-up from PA is much safer than running Melv's 120vac version, his has absolutely no protection & all chances to killing yourself.

right. also i was thinking if i have the water higher than the sump will it automatically send water from the storage container to the sump?

I went simple and used a gravity fed system with two floats and has worked great. I'm trying to keep the most volts out of the tank as I can. The only thing is that you have to refill your top off water every now and then, which I didn't mind.

My only gripe with those is you have to pay extra for the low voltage option. Alot of people dont realize that with the base model how dangerous they are. There is not a float switch made that is designed to be submerged. Out of 140 float switches I tested/sold last month 7 of them leaked 2 of those were high end madisons. Thats not very good odds.

Don

My only gripe with those is you have to pay extra for the low voltage option. Alot of people dont realize that with the base model how dangerous they are. There is not a float switch made that is designed to be submerged. Out of 140 float switches I tested/sold last month 7 of them leaked 2 of those were high end madisons. Thats not very good odds.

Don

Interesting- I havent heard one complant from a autotopoff.com user. I guess I must have got a good one, Ill keep my fingers crossed ;)

Interesting- I havent heard one complant from a autotopoff.com user. I guess I must have got a good one, Ill keep my fingers crossed ;)

Have you ever wondered why there is not a single manufacturer that runs 110v volts to a float switch besides those? When you build something for resale you have the moral/legal obligation to make sure its as safe as possible. Although the switch contact rating can handle the 110v just fine they are not rated to be submerged. Some day someone is going to get hurt or killed.:(

Don

Has any one done the diy with a Neptune Aquacontroller 3. I assume all you need to buy is the float switchers for the digital inputs, and the rest can be done with the controller program.

Sorry to jack this thread but if there were any electrical complications with a float switch etc wouldn’t my GFI plug and or the surge protector trip? Excuse my newbieness:oops:

Mike

NEVER DEPEND ON ANY GFI

Sorry for the shouting, but these circuits are not meant to make up for bad safety habits and or design. I have seen too many destroyed tanks and fires with GFIs present. They are excellent inventions and should be used, but just because there is a safety net is no reason to be tempting fate by design.

Back