Auto Top-off System

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have got the crap shocked out of me just by a heater leaking, I couldn't imagine getting it by a 110v!

so whats the safest way to do a Auto Top-off System
By converting ac to a small dc voltage as in these little transformers used for everything these days, they work wonders.

Sorry to jack this thread but if there were any electrical complications with a float switch etc wouldn’t my GFI plug and or the surge protector trip? Excuse my newbieness:oops:

Mike

If your hands are in the water at the same time something like a short would happen, I'm sure you would get a really good jolt even with a gfci, this is when the combination of a gfci & GP comes into play. Don't confuse surge protection as a shock safety device they aren't designed for that, they protect equipment from higher than normal voltages or spikes.

I know that a heater is 110v, but when it was leaking it wasn't a full 110v, it was only around 30v that my meter read, and that amount hurt.

i thought about using a check valve but that wouldnt work

Hate to rely on anything to prevent a flood. Many ways of doing this, but what I have is the top of the reservoir higher than the sump it is filling. The reservoir hose which is hooked up to the powered pump, has a T at the highest point which drains back into the reservoir. When the pump is driving water into your sump, it will also trickle out of the T back into the reservoir. When it quits pumping, it will draw air into the T breaking the siphon. This prevents ANY chance of back flow and spills.

DonW, don't you sell optical ATO kits? Can I frickin buy one from you? this exact float switch solution mentioned earlier in this thread has spiked my alk for the last time. I am so angry about this topic I cant bring myself to comment without swearing every other word.

Optical sensor activated ato's are more accurate than even float switch ato's. They use a optical refractive sensor to see water level and the have a float as a back-up shut down.

Don

Many of Don's fans have been waiting for him to finally get his act together, and make us needy morons a reliable product
party-smiley-020.gif
jumping-smiley-011.gif

so how can i stop the water from flowing once the pump stopped pumping water into the sump

some people (including myself) use an aqualifter pump which won't siphon back on them: http://www.aquariumguys.com/aqua-lifter-dosing-pump.html

what are you talking about

I am just saying, the float switches supplied in some of the lower price kits are just waiting to fail on you for several different reasons. Mine has failed for the following in the past year(keep in mind I do NOT have a backup switch):

snails
hermit crabs
zoanthid polyps
magic
chaetomorphia algae
calupra algae
coraline algae
diatom type algae
Salt creep
magic
kalk deposits (when it fails it spikes alk/ph in the tank like crazy...)
magic

I dose kalk using my ATO, so its a big deal when the switch fails. Yes I could have put a second switch on but I believe that would fail also. I kept a snail guard on the switch, and cleaned it weekly. For the most part the switch will work, but as soon as you feel confident it will act up on you. It is just a matter of time no matter how diligent you are.

-definitely- get a backup switch though, its way better than one.

so with the aqualifter pump i can have the water higher in the storage container than the water in the sump and it wont siphon?

attachment.php

I did as mike said & have a little tee up top that siphon breaks to let the water flow back into the tank. I have a Mini Jet at the bottom of the tank on a 1/2" line.

You know after all of this ATO talk yesterday I got home after work to find my water level about 1/2 “ over my float switch! I upgraded my pump to a Maxi-Jet 900 when I switched my setup over to the Solana so that it would accommodate the head height.. I never had this problem when I was running this setup on my 9 gallon that was on the kitchen counter with a small pump and the reservoir next to it- What do you guys think?
The sensor and the outlet hose are in the same chamber.

Thanks

You know after all of this ATO talk yesterday I got home after work to find my water level about 1/2 “ over my float switch! I upgraded my pump to a Maxi-Jet 900 when I switched my setup over to the Solana so that it would accommodate the head height.. I never had this problem when I was running this setup on my 9 gallon that was on the kitchen counter with a small pump and the reservoir next to it- What do you guys think?
The sensor and the outlet hose are in the same chamber.

Thanks

If its overfull the the float either hung up or the switch is burned. Unplug it until you figure out which one happened. Is this a single sensor ATO?

Don

Back