Auto top off??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mechanic1

Looking to get a a.t.o. Anyone using the hydor top off ?
any good or bad reviews would be appreciated.

Don't want to sound like a smart a$$ but if they never let you down,then why did you go through 6 of them?

Don't want to sound like a smart a$$ but if they never let you down,then why did you go through 6 of them?

Funny, I've known Mike for years and know he wouldn't steer anyone in the wrong direction but that was my first thought too. :target:

My thoughts also.

I'll bet he has 5 of them sitting in a closet somewhere, just waiting for the one he bought back in 2000 to go bad.

Ummmm, perhaps have had 6 different tanks? The Kent 180, Kent 72 bow, Mill Creek 72, mill creek 54 bow, ditto three nanos. Bought one for a friend, and suggested them to many.

Down to just my 180 now and guess what brand of ATO? Have never had a JBJ go bad.

JBJ is probably the best and cheapest out there. Unless you can just get a controller and add an ato to it.

If the fear of machines turning into robots that take over the world is the concern....try a gravity fed ato using a float valve. You can find them for around 30 dollars on the internet.

I have a Tunze Osmolator and love it..

more expensive than the JBJ, but I like the redundancy of the optical switch...and yes the alarm does work and is noticeable.
:)

I got mine from autotopoff.com and I have been real happy with it. You can go on the site and customize it how ever you want it. Mine has two floats, one with a snail guard and one in the ato tank in case it runs low on water and it is reversed so when the water gets low, it shuts off the pump. The whole set up was $80. The only thing I wish I would have done is to have them put longer wires on it, the standard ones weren't long enough but it was an easy fix.

So no one has any experience with the hydor system?
Yes jbj and tunze make good stuff,just looking a topoff that doesn't use float switches.

I'm considering the new Smart ATO (I think that is what its called) for my sump-less nem tank. No floats, very small, and its a complete package, no extra pump to buy. Not sure when I'll pull the trigger on it, so I can't really review it for you. reef builders did a review a while back though.

Back