Auto top off??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I saw that review just looking for real life review.
I can totally understand that. Its a "newer" option, so I posted more to note that it exists as opposed to endorsing it.
Where in PA? I grew up about 50 miles southwest of the 'burgh.

yep, that is the one.
here's the review though: http://reefbuilders.com/2013/12/10/smart-ato-review-perfect-couple-quirks/
I tend to not link externally on forums. some places get upset with linking, especially to non sponsors. since we've already linked out in this thread though, I added the review link.
regardless, I have a few things on my list before I make that purchase (if I decide to go that way), but if I do, I'll try to post a general review here..

yep, that is the one.
here's the review though: http://reefbuilders.com/2013/12/10/smart-ato-review-perfect-couple-quirks/
I tend to not link externally on forums. some places get upset with linking, especially to non sponsors. since we've already linked out in this thread though, I added the review link.
regardless, I have a few things on my list before I make that purchase (if I decide to go that way), but if I do, I'll try to post a general review here..

Here's what I think on that matter.
I try to always put our sponsors first.

The reefbuilders was a review.
Now it's up to our sponsors to set up and stock those items when it becomes available to them.
If it's good enough, I'm sure they will stock it or be able to order it for us.
Many of todays hot reef equipment comes with map pricing, so while they won't be able to beat internet pricing, they will be a closer link if something goes wrong.

Here's what I think on that matter.
I try to always put our sponsors first.

The reefbuilders was a review.
Reefbuilders keeps their doors open the same way this site does. With sponsors. Hitting the page there is a list of 6 or 8 sponsors on the right hand side. Sponsors pay to keep this site open because its advertising. The internet is a complicated mess of advertising. I understand your point, but I can easily see why external linking isn't acceptable in a lot of places too.

I buy local for all things available local. I pay a bit more in most cases, but I think its like buying insurance. When I need something TODAY and I can't possibly wait (tank crash or the like), I cash in on that insurance policy. That isn't to say I don't buy online, becase it would be near impossible for my local stores to stock each of the amazing amount of things available to the hobby.

Regardless of all of that.. I tend to favor on the safe side of forum rules. Someone put a lot of thought into them, knowing they would likely upset or anger some folks. They took time to understand the tradeoffs of no rules versus strict rules versus what they ended up putting in place. Rules aren't random or punishments or restrictions for the sake of restrictions. They are put in place to keep places open, for the betterment of sites/members, or to ensure level playing fields. In some cases I don't understand or agree with them, but I respect them regardless having taken the time to consider that someone with more knowledge than I spent time and effort coming up with the best solution they could.

Wow, that quite a rant and rave, and totally off topic, but I typed it, so I'm posting it. LOL

How is the suction cup mount holding up? Maybe I've just had crappy ones, but suction cups have always ended up being useless after a while in my tanks.

I wondered about it before I bought it, so I used a old mag float to hold it up.
It's not real pretty, but it works.

08t7.jpg

Stacey,

how do you really feel?

LOL LOL..

it is all good.

Reefbuilders keeps their doors open the same way this site does. With sponsors. Hitting the page there is a list of 6 or 8 sponsors on the right hand side. Sponsors pay to keep this site open because its advertising. The internet is a complicated mess of advertising. I understand your point, but I can easily see why external linking isn't acceptable in a lot of places too.

I buy local for all things available local. I pay a bit more in most cases, but I think its like buying insurance. When I need something TODAY and I can't possibly wait (tank crash or the like), I cash in on that insurance policy. That isn't to say I don't buy online, becase it would be near impossible for my local stores to stock each of the amazing amount of things available to the hobby.

Regardless of all of that.. I tend to favor on the safe side of forum rules. Someone put a lot of thought into them, knowing they would likely upset or anger some folks. They took time to understand the tradeoffs of no rules versus strict rules versus what they ended up putting in place. Rules aren't random or punishments or restrictions for the sake of restrictions. They are put in place to keep places open, for the betterment of sites/members, or to ensure level playing fields. In some cases I don't understand or agree with them, but I respect them regardless having taken the time to consider that someone with more knowledge than I spent time and effort coming up with the best solution they could.

Wow, that quite a rant and rave, and totally off topic, but I typed it, so I'm posting it. LOL

I agree about buying local as long as it's a good store. Can't beat good advice and support when needed.
I had a good exp. buying my radion at lfs,they didn't stock it so ordered it and ecotech employe droped it off at store on his way home. Light was only one day old per manufacture date,talk about good sevice!

went back last year for the first time in like 15 years because of some health issues my dad was having. I hadn't missed PA since I moved out here, but after having gone back I now miss it every once in a while. Still doesn't appear to be any jobs or industry, at least in the outlying areas though... which is a big part of why I left in the first place. I did pick the accent back up a bit when I was back though. Its amazing how I had forgotten what people 'back home' sounded like. :)

Yeah like slippy..lol

I left in '79 right before dowtown pittsburgh was renovated
Haven't been back since

So no one has any experience with the hydor system?
Yes jbj and tunze make good stuff,just looking a topoff that doesn't use float switches.

Tunze only uses a float switch as the second back switch, the primary is like an electric eye. I was looking at that hydor one and it did look very interesting. It so new though I don't know of any feedback yet. There was another one out there I think made by Elos (I am not sure), that uses pressure to trigger it. When the water is high it creates a greater pressure in the tube and as the water evaporates it decreases the water pressure and triggers the mechanism to activate the pump.

or ascared. :)
I left in 99... Since I was 5 in 79, it would have been rough heading out on my own, but had I understood the jobs situation, I might have thought about it. lol

Tunze only uses a float switch as the second back switch, the primary is like an electric eye. I was looking at that hydor one and it did look very interesting. It so new though I don't know of any feedback yet. There was another one out there I think made by Elos (I am not sure), that uses pressure to trigger it. When the water is high it creates a greater pressure in the tube and as the water evaporates it decreases the water pressure and triggers the mechanism to activate the pump.
The pressure switches always worried me more than the floats. Just seems like 'new' tech to me. Float switches are kind of old school, but they for the most part work. Maybe the pressure switches have been around just as long and I'm not aware, but I 'understand' how a float works so that makes it less worry some in my mind. The laser levels are kind of cool, but it seems like they wouldn't adjust well to flow, which is what makes me think twice about the Smart ATO I noted earlier. Is the hydor the one that does the 'current' across the top of the water?

Back