Auxiliary sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Slickdonkey

Drink me
Hey folks, I'm starting to think about future projects, and one of the ones I'd like to do is an "auxiliary sump". I'd like to use a 300 gallon rubbermaid container, but that isn't going to work because I only have a 2x2 opening to my crawlspace, which is where I have the sump and all equipment. This would give me some extra water volume as well as somewhere to put a big in-sump skimmer or other equipment.

I've done some fiberglass work in the past and thought maybe I could use some wood and fiberglass resin/mesh to build a holding container under the house, but those fumes are so nasty and I wouldn't feel good building it right next to the sump. Not to mention it doesn't seem like a good idea in a non-ventilated area in the first place.

How about lining with rubber... any other materials? I'm game for any ideas from you DIY experts.

My very first wet/dry was made from a wood box that I lined with glass, and then siliconed the seams.
That is a very simplified version, but basicly wood and glass.

That's not a bad idea. The trouble is I still need to fit glass through a 2x2 opening, so that kind of limits the size unless I use several pieces. Not sure how well that would work?

Well, you would want the sections of wood all in one piece. Walls, floor, ends, but the glass could be in sections. If this was even a consideration, figure out the biggest piece of 3/4 plywood you could fit down there and that basicly would be the size. X times X times X.

Any chance to get a pic of what you are working with in terms of space etc? Maybe helpful in thinking up some ideas:)

Any chance to get a pic of what you are working with in terms of space etc? Maybe helpful in thinking up some ideas:)

Well the space is infinite... everything is under the house and there's a huge area to work with. But the opening is 2x2. So it would be easy to get some wood in there but no containers for example that are in one piece.

Anyone needs Tabasco we have a ton of it here cheap:D
Sorry no ideas here, my lamp is out:(

I always need Tabasco! I used to eat it on Saltines in college as a meal.

Brian,

Is there any access from outside your house, to the crawlspace? Thinking back a few houses ago... I had an access door type thangy cut into my foundation, that allowed me to easily enter the crawlspace from outside the house. This opening as I remember it, was about 3'X3'.

Is there any access from outside your house, to the crawlspace? Thinking back a few houses ago... I had an access door type thangy cut into my foundation, that allowed me to easily enter the crawlspace from outside the house. This opening as I remember it, was about 3'X3'.

This would be difficult because the foundation is completely underground. If you can picture it in your head, the ceiling of the crawlspace is at ground level. So I'm not sure how it could be done.

To widen the opening? Don't think that is going to work, my floor supports are around the opening.

I was only joking. But if its in a spot that you dont mind making the hole bigger you could easily box the opening. I assume its just a cut out between two floor joist on 2ft centers.

Don

It would be too much work to do now, if there wasn't something already like that on your house I'm afraid.

Do you have the space under your opening... to drop down a 8' long piece of 1/2" Plexi... cut to the maximum diagonal of your opening (about 33")? If so, you could then make a 96"L X 33"W X 24"H acrylic box under your house (with some cross-bracing to help control bowing) that would give you about a 329 gallon sump? It wouldn't need to be a pretty job, just functional.

Yeah Ed that is a possibility. Probably can't fit quite 8' because this is a closet under the stairs and the ceiling is slanted, but I get your drift. I fit my sump through the opening and it was 16x16x80 and it just barely fit.

It's starting to look like maybe acrylic is the answer. Unfortunately, the very expensive answer. But no fumes to deal with.

There would be some minor fumes from the Weldon... but nothing that would last more than a few minutes while you're actually gluing the pieces together.

I don't know if you could kinda roll up one of those "Kiddie Pond" thangy's... so it would fit under the house... then possiblly put it inside a plywood structure that you've built down there, for stability??? At least that would have the advantage of being much cheaper???

Hmm that's an interesting idea... I wonder if I could line one of those with rubber or something. Although that'd probably stink just as bad.

You could build a metal frame that slide together and then purchase a tank lining material of some sort. We use these collapsable tanks at work that fit on a metal frame and load them up with waste treatment sludge. Not sure where we get these liners. I did a quick search on google under tank liners and flexible tanks. They had some but no posted prices.
-chris

Right now is the best time to get acrylic for a sump that does not matter what it looks like, or what color it is. All of my suppliers that are owned by the same company (includes both Laird and Calsak) have to do inventory right now and are trying to get rid of the special order stuff that customers backed out on. They have a lot of odd colors and frosted texture acrylic that they want to unload, cheap!!!! Shoot me a PM or call me at the shop if you want a hook up on some acrylic.

3/4" Plywood, 2'x2'x8' lined with thin glass or any Plexiglas while outside. Pass the three each 2x8 pieces and 2 each 2x2 pieces through the hole. Frame together with a 2x4 lumber exoskeleton, and seal the inside joints with silicon cement. 240 gallon sump that easily fits the existing hole.

Last edited:
Back