Babies are hatching!!!!!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sandswhitson

Babies are hatching!!!!!!!!
Well our clown eggs are starting to hatch tonight and we are trying to scoop them out. It was a poor clutch of eggs as I had disturbed the clowns the day they were supposed to lay and most of the eggs didn't stick to the rock. This will be my first attempt at raising the fry but we will see what happens. We have only caught five so far. Oh well will see how it goes.
Wish us luck!

I have a 20 gallon as the larvae tank right now. I have to leave for work today so I won't be able to keep an eye on them but my wife is going to feed rotifers and well see what happens.

Well the five that I caught last night have already perished. I am not sure what happened. The temp was at 81.2. Nitrites 0 nitrates 0 PH 7.9 We finished capturing them probably around 11. I didn't put any rotifers in the tank last night because I had read that they won't eat at night anyway. They didn't even make it 10 hours. Any ideas.

theres a good book on it too. i think i read that like 80% die anways, thats why they lay so many, but it is really!!!! hard to raise them.... gl trying again!

We both had to work on the night that the rest of them hatched so we didn't catch any others. The clowns laid eggs again yesterday this time on the tile so maybe we will get a better hatch this time.

easiest way to catch fry is to use a flashlight at night they will go to the light but if you can get them to lay on the tile that is best

I would recommend a 5 gallon larval tank. Thats what I use. It will be much easier now that they are laying on the tile so you wont have to use the light to capture them. Simply pull the tile to the 5 gallon tank on the night of the hatch. I always feed rotifers when I put the tile in. Im not sure if they eat right away, but I know that my success rate is much higher when I use rotifers right away (before hatch). After hatch, I only keep about 1 gallon of water in my 5.5 gallon tank.

All that being said, there have been times when I have come in the next morning to find the whole batch dead. I have even seen this happen on the 3rd, 4th or 5th nights too. I always shrug it off and say "oh well.. there is always next week"..

Have had a bunch in my tank for about 4 days and not seeing many die off, they have actually doubled in size already but i dont see them living it out in there. Im afraid to rip apart the rockwork because ill never see em once i do :( oh well

Back