Bahamian Profiles of reefs, rocks and puddles

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wrightme43 said:
Get some zoos Krish, Get some zoos! Get some Zoos! GET SOME ZOOS!
Hey Krish put some of those zoos in your tank.
You might wanna put some of those zoos in your tank, man.
LOL
Cool man, LOL
I like the idea you had, thanks for doing that for us.
Steve

Hey man, you need to get those zoos:lol:
Might be some of those high dollar blues under the right lights:eek:

Hey man, you need to get those zoos
Might be some of those high dollar blues under the right lights

LOL...I got about five of them in! I just got home a while ago and they are fully open in my tank with the lights off. I will post a photo tomorrow of them when the lights come back on. If I really like um, I may go back out and get a few more. As you can see from the patches, most of them are just resting in the sand.

Aquatic Guru said:
Krish those Zoo's our bad azz! I would pick them up and sell it to the states. I'll even buy them off of you. LoL. Yuor lucky to be living there. Keep coming with the pics.

Krish,
Just what are the collection laws there?

Do you ever get tired of living in reef paradise? How cool it would be to have the ocean in my back yard :) I find things from the rivers here and have a coldwater tank going for them, and they're interesting to watch, but the ocean creatures, they're hard to match!

Here's picture from a snowstorm we had a few weeks back :)

Last edited:
Krish,
Just what are the collection laws there?

Since I answered the same question on another thread for Finn, I figured I'd post my response as well as Andrews here just for the record

Krish75
The Bahamas doesn't have any laws, except you shouldn't kill(LOL Joking) There are laws, but the Bahamas is very slack. I've said this before many times here, but for example, you can drink beers and drive and not get introuble. Infact, police drink beers while on duty and drive! The Bahamas is a small country (less than 350,000 people) and everyone knows everyone. You can pretty much do anything within reason and not get introuble for it. The laws they do enforce very strickly is catching crawfish when they are out of season or too small while in season. If you are found with a small crawfish under regulation size or a crawfish out of season, you will go to jail or pay a huge fine and have your boat confiscated. Not very many people are all that interested in saltwater aquariums here anyway. I mean, the Bahamas consists of some 700 islands and they are too use to it so tend to go for freshwater tanks which aren't common. I know the thought of me being from an island may step on a few people toes or cause some concern, but like I've said before, I'm not going to screw around with a reef and remove something that isn't already broken off. Never have and never will. I mean look at my tank! It's bare! And everything in it was imported except for those few zoo's I just added and my wrasse. I'm not worried about anything...If a law was enforced and I knew it would cause some concern with the Gov't etc. then it would be different. I found it really funny the other day the big blow up on RC about removing corals etc.(LOL) Come on...What everyone has in their tanks had to come from the ocean at some point. You may have a frag of another persons frag, but it all came from a frag taken from the ocean. The same with fish. Yeah, it's kinda against the law to remove wild-life, but so is speeding and everyone is guilty of going over the speed limit daily. The main thing is how you go about doing it. If I saw someone pulling up a reef then that would upset me, but picking up a broken off frag here and there isn't a big thing. The oceans huge!!!(LOL)

Ethanriley
With regard to our laws in the Bahamas most of them are fisheries laws and don't particulary pertain to hobbyist pursuits. However, the laws regarding taking from the reefs are very clear. You will go to jail if you are caught as it is illegal to harvest coral of any kind from the reefs. Unfortunately, like Krish says there really is no one to catch you. We teach ourselves our own control. For those of you familiar with GARF I believe in alot that they say and after seeing lion fish in the Florida Keys I would not want to have them in or waters so the no importation laws on the books of saltwater fish help to preserve our reefs fauna and fisheries. Fact is we have more than our fair share of ignorant people that would simply dump Nemo into the ocean when they got tired of him When Krish and I go on collection forays we are very careful with what we disturb and we never have taken directly from the reef. Very often after the winter rages we get down here the sea offers up alot of frags which we collect and the zoo's we have are a shallow water specimen that even stands periodic exposures at low tide making them extremely hardy. Some of the pictures he has taken from my tank are of encrusting gorgonian frags that I grew from very small pieces we found near the shoreline. The greatest challenge for me is bringing some of the corals back to life. This summer we have talked about going into what I call coral grave yards which are areas in about 15-30 feet of water where huge sections of staghorn and elkhorn corals have died off leaving "live rock" encrusted with new corals like brain and gorgonians and a few others. Most Atlantic corals are very endangered so my feeling is if I can grow a captive stock out of naturally ocurring frags I may pass them on to other reefers and not encourage uneducated pillage that occurrs in other parts of the world.

Do you ever get tired of living in reef paradise? How cool it would be to have the ocean in my back yard I find things from the rivers here and have a coldwater tank going for them, and they're interesting to watch, but the ocean creatures, they're hard to match!

Here's picture from a snowstorm we had a few weeks back

Ice is meant for your drinks(LOL) I'd probably die if I was there!:lol:

Here are a few old pictures to pass the time until I get out this weekend to shoot more shots. I will be going to a different spot this weekend that has tons of fish etc.

A Juvenile french Andrew and I caught that was once in my tank along with a wrasse

Where we caught him

Wowsers!

And I thought I was lucky when I went to the coast of Taiwan and grabbed a handful of tiny hermit crabs for my tank...and a snail, too! Thanks for putting it all into perspective:lol:

Great pictures though. You have me counting the days!

Wowsers!

And I thought I was lucky when I went to the coast of Taiwan and grabbed a handful of tiny hermit crabs for my tank...and a snail, too! Thanks for putting it all into perspective

Great pictures though. You have me counting the days!

LOL...march isn't all that far:)

And I thought I was lucky when I went to the coast of Taiwan and grabbed a handful of tiny hermit crabs for my tank...and a snail, too! Thanks for putting it all into perspective

dood you are still lucky :) .

Cool thread Krish!!!

I'm going to have to see a real reef one day. Heck, I would have had a blast in your "graveyard".

On that snail pictured, it somewhat looks like a whelk (I can't recall which species). It might be a good idea to get a positive ID because whelks kill other snails.

Cool thread Krish!!!

I'm going to have to see a real reef one day. Heck, I would have had a blast in your "graveyard".

On that snail pictured, it somewhat looks like a whelk (I can't recall which species). It might be a good idea to get a positive ID because whelks kill other snails.

Yeah man...You'll have to come visit sometime! About the whelk, are you referring to the "curb" as Bahamians call it, inside of Andrews tank? Or is it the picture of the snail I took 2 shots of? Glad you are liking the thread. If the weather is good this weekend, I will take tons of pictures:)

Cant wait to see more pics krish...Im sure the weather will be better than chicago this weekend 20..Degrees and windy///////////:)

Cant wait to see more pics krish...Im sure the weather will be better than chicago this weekend 20..Degrees and windy///////////

Ouch! Well, hopefully I will go Saturday so I can post some pictures that evening, if not definately Sunday:)

Tomorrow is supposed to be good weather so depending on the tide, I will have some photos for you guys tomorrow evening so look out for them. I'll also try to shoot a few of just Nassau Bahamas in general:)

Back